Using Yeast To Produce Co2

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

pinkdolphin_113

Sinclair Aquatic Systems
Reaction score
i have just bought some "bread yeast" (by hovis lol) which i assume is the same as normal yeast. it says this stuff can be used without being activated, i also assume that is the only different however i will be activationg it in water anyway.

now for the questions.
i figured, as its the first time i've done this, i would just be sticking some yeast in a bottle with some water then putting the lid on, which is attached to some air tubing which goes into the tank. or is it more complicated than that?

i was planning on using an air stone... or shouldnt i?

whats the yeast:water ration?

:crazy:

pink.

HERE try that hun.

dont use an airstone, it is not as efficient as a diffuser.

Most yeast will become active when they are mixed with a bit of moisture and air. To make a CO2 kit you make a sugar mixture. You add some sugar to some freshwater and then add the yeast. The yeast feeds on the sugar and produces ethanol and CO2 as its by-products. You need a good lid on the culture but it must have a hole in otherwise it blows up.
You don't need an airstone in the culture but you can add one initially to mix everything up well. Then take it out.
It doesn't matter how much yeast you use to start with because it will grow rapidly and multiply when it is in the sugar water mixture. The more yeast you start with the faster the CO2 production occurs and the sooner you get gas :)

Bakers yeast doesn’t tolerate as much alcohol (ethanol) in the mixture. Beer yeast tolerates more, followed by wine yeast and then spirit yeast.

HERE try that hun.

hun?? :crazy: lol

that link hasnt worked for some reason but still thanks.
okay, i dont think i shall use an airstone, but i dont have a diffuser.
so should i just like the CO2 come out of the air tube?

You need sugar aswell

ooooh! i almost forgot about the sugar lol thanks!

pink.

HERE try that hun.

hun?? :crazy: lol

that link hasnt worked for some reason but still thanks.
okay, i dont think i shall use an airstone, but i dont have a diffuser.
so should i just like the CO2 come out of the air tube?

You need sugar aswell

ooooh! i almost forgot about the sugar lol thanks!

pink.

I think Nick was trying to link to some sort of glass diffuser. When the gas comes out the tube, it rises straight up and out of the water before the water has managed to absorb it. Same with airstones. Diffusers squeeze the gas through a ceramic plate so the bubbles are tiinnnyyy. The water can then absorb it easily.

sorry bowt the hun bit, forgot who i was talking to. diffusers can be bought on ebay from HK for about £6 for 2. (glass diffusers)

i feel there is no need in a diffuser. i transfered my 4 white clouds from my bigger tank to the smaller one so it would cycle properly. they are gasping from the surface. is this safe? or should i kill the CO2?
i also did a pH test before putting the white clouds in the tank and my pH has dropped to about neutral. thats from about 8.5 to around 7, so the CO2 is being absorbed.

i have been planning on setting up 2 2ltr bottles for my main tank. is this adequate, or too much?

pink.

EDIT: to Nick - lol nevermind, some people have those tendencies sometimes! :lol:

if they are gasping then you are injecting to much co2, aim for 30ppm, or normally around 2bps which should be fine. get a DC from ebay, it will tell you how much co2 you have in your water.

yeah, i just say that word sometimes and i hate it but it just slipps out and i never check what i have written as im lazy so spot the type-o's

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back