Using Plant Fertiliser

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

fry_lover

Fred and the Fredettes
Reaction score
I was just wondering if i actually need to use it or should be using it? I am currently using Seachem Flourish and dose about once every 7-10 days. In the past when i havent had any Seachem Flourish i have gone months without using it. My success with these plants has generally been very good with or without the Flourish.

The only issue i am having is with my Java Ferns, it's on this thread

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/233736/New-Window/"]http://www.fishforums.net/content/forum/233736/New-Window/[/URL]

I also have an algae issue, but thats because then lights have been on 14 hrs a day, this is to be reduced of course.

Stats (including what i think is relevant)

- 48x18x24 (high)
- no added co2
- x3 40W t-8 tubes with reflectors giving about 1.5WPG (US Gallon)
- Play sand substrate
- Ammonia and nitrite always undetectable
- Nitrate in tank between 50-60 mg/l, tap water 20-25 mg/l
- pH about 7.8 and water is "moderately hard" cant remember the KH and GH right now
- Water changes, 30-40% per week
- Fish stock, heavy, small community fish, approx 120 fish totalling approx 150" of fish (about 1.9" per gallon)

Plants (all the easy ones really)
- Onion Plants
- Dwarf Anubias
- Java Fern
- Moss Balls
- Vallis

The tank is definitly heavily planted, no doubt about that, you can really see much of the bottom/substrate put it that way.

Also some other questions

1. Does the high stocking of fish make it less necessary for fertiliser?
2. If i stop using fertiliser would i then run the risk of the plants becoming deficient in Iron?

Any thoughts and tips would be greatly received.

PS - i am not really of the school "if it isn't broken dont fix it" i prefer to be proactive, fine tuning as i go!

it is true that high stocking of fish sometimes allows plants to survive with minimal help, providing that they are pruned, etc. but in order to flourish i would recomend the fertiliser. ultimitly it is your choice weather or not you want to use it continuesly, but i would recomend it.

good luck with your java ferns.

(ps. sorry about the spelling) :lol:

Ryan

thanks Ryan, lets see what the plant peeps say about it, should be interesting

I got an insanely overstocked tank (trying to sort out ASAP) and although the plants do a good job of sucking up all the toxins, you can not rely solely on the fish waste as ferts.

Since using flourish excel and EI, i've never had an algae problem. I don't pump CO2 into my tank any other way, so i rely solely on the flourish excel. When you do notice a slight build up of algae, turn off the pumps and filter for 10 Min's and squirt the flourish excel onto the algae and it normally kills it. (bearded stringy stuff and others)

PS sorry about the nontechnical language lol.

With your light you dont need to an ferts but a weekly one like you are doing probably wont do any harm :)

Sam

Most reactions

trending

Back