Using marbles as substrate to encourage survival of eggs/fry

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Ellie11

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I heard the eggs/fry can hide out and some may survive. I have endlers and tetras and never a baby. Do marbles help? If so, what size? Thanks

I heard the eggs/fry can hide out and some may survive. I have endlers and tetras and never a baby. Do marbles help? If so, what size? Thanks

Back in the 1970's and 1980's this was a common way to spawn egg scatters. But the method involved introducing the pair to the tank,and after they have spawned, remove the pair so the eggs and fry can hatch and grow. The marbles just prevented the pair from eating the eggs seconds after they were released which they would most likely attempt.

I don't see how this would be much use with livebearers as the fry in my experience anyway tend to remain near the surface and thick floating plants protect them. Cabomba, Wisteria, and Water Sprite are good for this. I had Endler fry this way.

As for egg layers, the eggs tend to be sticky and adhere to the first surface they hit. If there are other fish in the tank obviously they will make every effort to get the eggs. Fish read the pheromones and allomones that broadcast spawning.

Have you seen spawning of the tetras you have?

thanks, Bryon, and no, I havenā€™t seen spawning. I have ~20 tetras with 6 endlers in a 44 gallon tank. I read when one observes mating behavior in tetras, the pair can be removed to a smaller tank, say 10 gallons, that has a mesh screen over the substate for the eggs to drop through. I read the male will circle the female and kinda box her in. Itā€™s been a year and I havenā€™t observed this. I have GloFish tetras & am well aware the company fiercely guards the patent but wonā€™t go after home hobbyists who donā€™t sell them to pet shops & individuals. My understanding is the babies will resemble either mom or dad, assuming they are different colors.

the tetras are probably eating the baby endlers

if you want to breed fish, put them in a single species tank and have 1pr or a tank of female endlers. they wont eat their babies if they are well fed.

i have no interest in breeding the endlers, just the tetras. The presence of 6 or so endlers wouldnā€˜t affect the tetrasā€˜ breeding, or would it?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back