Using gravel from established tank in new filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dsscingular

Reaction score
Would it help my new tank at all to place a handful of gravel from an established tank in to the area that holds the water in my filter (just before it runs through the media)?

If so what should I use to hold it in? I've read that using an "old stocking" to hold the gravel in is good...does this mean I can just throw it in a sock?

Thanks in advance :)

It sure does help. The more you can use, the better.

But, there's no need to put it inside the filter mechanism. You can just put it in the tank. In fact, it's probably better to put it in the tank, because there it's not subjected to high water flow rates.

Not sure about the sock, though.

I usually use plastic containers -- or the lids for plastic containers. Basically, saucers.

Hi dsscingular :)

Yes, that's an excellent idea. :nod:

Most of the beneficial bacteria in the gravel live in the top 1/2" to 3/4' of the gravel, so try to use that if you can.Just sprinkle it over the gravel in your tank and the bacteria will spread. Don't just use a handful, however, the more you can put in there the better it will be.

Or, put it into one or more women's nylon stockings and hang it near the filter where the water will circulate around it. Knee-hi stockings are inexpensive and are a good size to hold the gravel for this purpose.

You can remove quite a bit of gravel from an established tank without causing any harm to it, it will simply reproduce and replace itself,so don't worry about that. :no:

Most reactions

trending

Back