Using Fishless For The First Time

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

ShinySideUp

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Although I have been keeping fish for many years this is the first time I have used a fishless cycle and so far it is going OK. I used some media from my big tank to give a bit of a kickstart and already my ammonia is going down as my nitrites are going up so doing well so far.

My question is this: When I have finished the cycle and the filter is working as it should, how much stock can I introduce to the tank at once. I presume it should be practically the full complement required but I thought I'd better check. If it is not many fish then I wouldn't see the point of a fishless cycle.

You should be able to pretty much fully stock it.

Add stock slowly. 1-2 fish at a time.

A huge amount added too soon will over-encumber the bacteria and possibly kill the fish.

Add stock slowly. 1-2 fish at a time.

A huge amount added too soon will over-encumber the bacteria and possibly kill the fish.

But surely adding two small fish to a tank with a brand new filter will cycle the tank anyway, so what's the point of running up the filter using ammonia etc. if at the end you can't add any more fish than if you hadn't bothered? I thought the point of fishless cycling by adding ammonia was to simulate a tank full of fish without poisoning actual fish?

:/ sorry but mattyeatsmatts is mistaken. When fishless cycling you can add your full stock all at once once everything is being processed in 12 hours or so.

:/ sorry but mattyeatsmatts is mistaken. When fishless cycling you can add your full stock all at once once everything is being processed in 12 hours or so.

As I assumed, thank you.

So are you saying that if my tank is dosed with 4ppm of ammonia and about twelve hours later the ammonia has gone and nitrites are zero that's the sign I need to say my tank is cycled? I was wondering how I might know.

You got it! Except that 4ppm isn't really needed, something like 2-3 will do but no more than 3 for sure, it'll just slow you down :) If you've dosed that much don't worry just wait until it gets back to 0 and dose less the next time

Oh and when it's getting through all the nasties in 12 hours (let it go for a couple days like that) just keep adding your ammonia as usual then, on the day or day before you want to add fish do a 90% water change

Oh and when it's getting through all the nasties in 12 hours (let it go for a couple days like that) just keep adding your ammonia as usual then, on the day or day before you want to add fish do a 90% water change

Will do, thanks very much for that.

Martin

Since there are no fish in, is it necessary to do any water changes before the one before adding fish?

Nope, no water changes needed. I am cycling with plants so I have to do water changes each week to keep them healthy and the ferts I add require 1 50% a week.

Nope, no water changes needed. I am cycling with plants so I have to do water changes each week to keep them healthy and the ferts I add require 1 50% a week.

I have a few plants in but am trying to use them to use up the nitrates that are being produced; I do add a little bit of fertiliser. I'll stick with the no-water-change philosophy though as the filter is more important than the plants and if I start replacing water I won't know where I am with ammonia reduction etc.

Cheers.

Depends on the stock though. i wouldnt add stock that produces more than 4ppm of ammonia lol.

I found out the hard way when I resued my oscars that they pump out a whopping 4ppm of ammonia a day!!

I have a few plants in but am trying to use them to use up the nitrates that are being produced; I do add a little bit of fertiliser. I'll stick with the no-water-change philosophy though as the filter is more important than the plants and if I start replacing water I won't know where I am with ammonia reduction etc.

Cheers.

I am dosing Estimative Index, which floods the water column with fertilizers. The whole point of the 50% water change to remove excess. You would probably be fine without. My 10g that I cycled at the same time has all silks and no ferts, and I skipped the water changes there.

I would recommend doing a big water change the day before adding fish. Your nitrates will likely be through the roof at that point.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back