Using cycled water in a new tank

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

skiltrip

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I currently have a 37 Gallon tank. It's still pretty new, but once the initial cycling is done, I'd like to get a second tank, smaller one. 10 Gallons probably. Could I just take 10 Gallons of water from my established tank to fill the new tank, therefore skipping the cycling process in the new tank? I'd give the new tank a few days to filter and stuff before adding fish of course. But would that do the trick? I won't be transfering the gravel too, only the water.

- Kip

Hi Skiltrip

Using the old water is a good start, but it would be best if you could transfer some of the gravel as well.
The bacteria live on the gravel, and this will help to seed the new tank. It will still need time to do a mini cycle, but not as long as a full cycle.

yea im with dolfin the cycle wont be so severe so some fish such as cichlids will be fine allmost straight away in a couple of days like you say but i would add some of the gravel if not all a quick rinse in the tank water would make it clean.best of luck oh and welcome to the forum :)

Thanks for the advice, and I'm really happy I found this forum. It's been a huge help already, and I've only been posting a couple days.

I think I'll be using the gravel as well as the water for the new tank.

Should work out well! Thanks again!

- Kip

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back