Using aquarium salt in freshwater aquarium

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Hondo17

Reaction score
I want to raise the hardness and ph of a tank into which guppies will be placed. Will adding aquarium salt work for this purpose? Will I have to add more salt periodically such as after water changes?

In short no. And in most cases it's not even necessary. Salt will not raise the hardness of your water or the pH. What are your current parameters (pH, gH, kH, NO3)? I wouldn't suggest messing with your water chemistry unless you have a solid foundation of knowledge. The only way to raise pH is by raising kH which is your carbonate hardness. It's not an easy or simple process and it requires a lot of water testing and know how. Depending on your current parameters it might even not be necessary.

Last edited:
pH is between 6.4 and 6.6. I added some crushed coral to the filter box yesterday and the hardness looks like it's about 150 ppm.

Limesrone and other mineral filled rocks are very useful for adding onto the PH and hardness. Crushed coral also works well!

Thanks. Should I just add the coral to the substrate or is it better in the filter?

Thanks. Should I just add the coral to the substrate or is it better in the filter?
Substrate is really good. It offers more space for it so you can have more and raise it better. The filter can only fit a limited amount. But keep in mind, guppies dont need extremely hard waters

Guppies are not as demanding of harder water as other livebearers. But regardless of that, remember that soft water fish will have issues with raising the GH and/or pH. If this tank is solely to be for livebearers, OK, but otherwise probably not. And as said, salt does not affect GH or pH, and frankly should never be added to a freshwater aquarium except as a temporary treatment for something needing it.

My main concern is that the pH is too low. The tank will only be used for guppies. If I add some minerals, maybe tourmaline balls, would this help the pH situation. The pH is around 6.6 and I would like to have it more in the 7 to 7.2 range.

Monitor the pH over the next 2 weeks. If it doesn't go up, add some more dead coral, shells or limestone to the tank. Monitor the pH for another 2 weeks and if the pH still hasn't gone up enough, add some more coral, shells or limestone. Continue monitoring and adding until you get the desired pH.

Bringing pH up is easy. Where we cause trouble is when we try to bring it down. But if you are testing at 150 ppm, you should be good. I kept and bred generations of hardwater livebearers in 140 ppm water, with no issues.
Monitor the pH over the next 2 weeks. If it doesn't go up, add some more dead coral, shells or limestone to the tank. Monitor the pH for another 2 weeks and if the pH still hasn't gone up enough, add some more coral, shells or limestone. Continue monitoring and adding until you get the desired pH.
This. It will work, but isn't immediate or instant. Aquariums call for patience.

I know it will take some time. There are no fish in the tank currently. I am working to get the right water conditions before adding any fish. Thanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back