Using Ammonia Remover

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tuskancharger

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have added a few new fish but the ammonia level spiked to 0.8 have immediately done 60% water change but do you people think it adviseable to use ammonia remover or not and what are the implications

unsure on ammonia remover tbh im in the opinion most bottles the shop try to sell or come free with tanks,filters ect are **** i maybe wrong

also surely 60% was not enough of a change and would leave 3.2ppm witch is still too high again i could be wrong i presume removing 60% of water removes 605 of the ammonia

There is no good ammonia remover that will substitute for a good large water change. I'm afraid that a 60% change will only move your ammonia from 0.8 to about 0.4 ppm. You need to cut that in half once again to get within the range that fish can tolerate well enough. That means another 50% or larger water change is in order.

Dont add it, it only makes things worse. Was the tank cycled before you put the fish in?

As above do another big water change and keep an eye on it aswell as your nitrite levels

Thanks for the imput yes i was aware of only reducing by half the levels of ammonia but once did a really large 90% and seemed the worst thing i had ever done. I have done 2x 50% and the level is as expected down to 0.2 and i have added some java fern to hopefully help things along. yes the tank was cycled 18months or so ago. have had occassional problems when using med for white spot but nothing like this the fish are swimming in their normal fashion no one is gasping all had been eating as about usual but have not fed them for a couple of days now to give the bacteria a chance to do some catch up. Would keeping the lights on longer help the plants to help the bio system work on the ammonia. Nitrite level is o do not have a kit to cover nitrate but was given to understand that regular water change was enough to deal with this anyway

Have now done 8 50% water changes over the last 4 days fish must be wondering whats going on . anyway this has now led to ammonia level of 0.1 nitrite still 0 but fish are showing slight signs of fin rot? will continue to do 2 changes a day and till 0 ammonia then go to daily checks to see if level stabalises . has anyone got any better soloutions

Have now done 8 50% water changes over the last 4 days fish must be wondering whats going on . anyway this has now led to ammonia level of 0.1 nitrite still 0 but fish are showing slight signs of fin rot? will continue to do 2 changes a day and till 0 ammonia then go to daily checks to see if level stabalises . has anyone got any better soloutions

mines been going a week now ammonia staying low but i get around 1.0 nitrite a day! so i do big changes everyday and my fish are fine and usualy liven up after a change

bacteria grow better in warmer water

Most reactions

trending

Back