Using a pot for a cave?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

FroFro

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I've seen some pictures of other aquariums where people use what look like regular clay pots, like something you'd find at a garden center for like 1$.
download-14.jpg

Kind of like this ^^
Are they safe? I think it'd make a pretty good cave for my pleco in my main tank but I'm hesitant to use the one I already have. If it's safe I planned to super glue a few new anubias I bought from my LFS to it.

Yes they are fine.

Yes they are fine.
Do I need to do anything to prepare it? It used to have potting soil. Just a good wash with conditioned water and a clean sponge? Or should I buy a new pot altogether?

I would get a new pot,

The old one should be fine too, if you clean it thoroughly before. Cutting it in half will give you two caves.

I never recommend using old pots because they are porous and you never know what they absorbed from the soil.

Pots are cheap use new.

I never recommend using old pots because they are porous and you never know what they absorbed from the soil.

I prefer the old ones, because you never know which chemicals the new ones contain ;)

I always use them as they are so cheap and actually look quite nice in the tank. Plecs love them and I have never had a problem I just give it a scrub before it goes in

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back