Used the python cleaning thing for the first time

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Jen

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
What went wrong? I followed the directions exactly. I added the de-chlorinizer as directed, and my 6 month old platty died this evening, and a year and a half old danio now has dropsy.

I can't figure it out for the life of me.

I'm moving this to TCC and leaving a trailer in Er so it gets more coverage ;) Double the publicity!!! :thumbs:

I'm sorry to hear about your fish :/

I added the de-chlorinalor right at the end when the tank was almost full.

The guy at the pet store said I might have loosened up a pocket of nitrates. They were very high when he tested the water

Thanks Wuv.

I have to clean the tank a few more times this weeks with hopes of getting the nitrates down, so knowing what i did wrong would help

I can only assume it is the 25 gallon tank you are talking about.........

If you didn't add any dechlorinator until the VERY end then your fish COULD have....COULD HAVE.....gotten sick from the chlorine poisoning? in the short time they had to swim through it.....?? :dunno:

:sad: I would add it to the stream of water from now on.........sorry! :sad:

Ya, you know...
I just did the maths and figured that about 1in of water in my tank was about 2.5 - 3 gallons so I just drop the stuff in (well, squeeze the bottle :*) ) to where I treat about 3 gallons per inch of water........

So lets say that I am filling up the tank and I'm JUST starting...I always squirt a little bit of the de-chlorinator in the stream (don't know why) just to get some in there and then I put in 10 drops per inch of water.........do you see!! I just slowly drop it in and watch how fast it's filling and when it's raised an inch I start my drops over like 1.....2.......3.........4.......bla bla bla until 10 and by then another inch has gone by!!!! :hyper:

Sorry for being "teacher" - ish.......... :*)

HTH

I put in the entire dose of dechlorinator before i start refilling the tank. Sorry to hear of your poor fishies. -_-

Now it was my undersatnding that chlorine is not very harmfull to fish unless over long periods of times inhigh amounts so adding non-dechloreinated water will not kill a hardy fish such as a platy or a danio, but will eventualy kill weaker fish and all your beneficial bacteria creating nitrit and amonia spikes which is actually what normally kills the fish when this water is added??

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back