Used tank water in water butt?

Sunnyspots

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Could I put my used tank water in my water butt? It seems a waste to throw it on the garden after rain and much more useful to have it ready for when the garden does need watering. Has anyone tried it? My water butts have good lids with no light ingress.

Yeah. Kinda. It's to collect rainwater as it is free and clear of contaminants like chlorine. It is also acidic for acid loving plants.

Yeah. Kinda. It's to collect rainwater as it is free and clear of contaminants like chlorine. It is also acidic for acid loving plants.
I don't see why not....nothing wrong with storing tank water, as long as it's not to drink or cook with

We call these rain barrels, but they are perhaps smaller than your water butt, but no matter. In summer when I lived in the house I used to run tank water into two large bins outside the back door, then use a pail during the week to water the garden. Probably a good idea to keep it covered (yours probably is), to avoid mosquitoes breeding, etc.

We call these rain barrels, but they are perhaps smaller than your water butt, but no matter. In summer when I lived in the house I used to run tank water into two large bins outside the back door, then use a pail during the week to water the garden. Probably a good idea to keep it covered (yours probably is), to avoid mosquitoes breeding, etc.
That's just what I needed to hear - that someone else had done similar. :)

I wouldn't mix tank water with clean rain water because the tank water is full of microscopic disease organisms.

If you have a spare container to store the used tank water in, that is fine but don't add tank water to a rain water tank.

And don't use aquarium water on fruit or vegetables

I wouldn't mix tank water with clean rain water because the tank water is full of microscopic disease organisms.

If you have a spare container to store the used tank water in, that is fine but don't add tank water to a rain water tank.

And don't use aquarium water on fruit or vegetables
I'm not sure that I agree. Water from a healthy tank likely does not contain any disease organisms and surely tank water is hardly different from compost or manures / manure tea.

Aquarium water is full of microscopic organisms even if the fish are healthy. There are protozoans, bacteria, fungus and various other things. The fish poop out bacteria and protozoans. They live in the filter and get washed into the tank water. You don't want these things on food plants like green leafy vegetables or anything that doesn't get washed well before eating.

Aquarium water is full of microscopic organisms even if the fish are healthy. There are protozoans, bacteria, fungus and various other things. The fish poop out bacteria and protozoans. They live in the filter and get washed into the tank water. You don't want these things on food plants like green leafy vegetables or anything that doesn't get washed well before eating.
Apparently you are unfamiliar with organic gardening. :)
Oh and those things you mention in aquarium water are in good soil in the millions!

garden-w.jpg

I've been watering all my fruit and vegetables with tank water as I thought it better that tap or rain water for them. They've certainly grown better with it! But perhaps I should wash my strawberries in future....

Apparently you are unfamiliar with organic gardening. :)
Oh and those things you mention in aquarium water are in good soil in the millions!
I'm fully aware of organic gardening and permaculture. The garden does not contain protozoa from aquariums, neither does it contain the bacteria found in water. These organisms die when exposed to dry conditions. Yes there are bacteria in the garden, soil, compost, and even the air we breath. But they are different species to what lives in aquariums.

You can water the lawn or garden plants with aquarium water. I just wouldn't use aquarium water on plants that I eat.

Most reactions

trending

Back