Used 10ga tank, no nitrates?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Blommer23

Reaction score
I purchased a 10 gallon, set up, used tank, for a quarantine tank. The seller said it was set up for over a year. It has 3 Buenos Aires tetras. The seller also said they never changed the water, just added some when it got low. I got it home and tested the water. 0ppm Amonia, 0ppm Nitrites, PH 8.4, and 0ppm nitrates. I would have thought the nitrates would have been very high. And KPH 9 drops. I was wondering if in fact it was cycled? I did a 75% water change and tested two days later, 0 ppm Amonia, 0ppm Nitrites and 0 ppm Nitrates. Ph lowered to 7.8. There was some algae in the tank, but not over loaded. Do you think it is cycled?

After a year holding 3 tetras the cycle would be established for that bioload, unless you did something to kill all the bacteria.

Re the nitrate, the API liquid test has two regents. I believe it is the #2 that has to be well shaken for 2 full minutes or a false reading can occur. The instructions used to say 30 seconds, but it took (presumably still does) 2 minutes and then add the drops to the test tube.

Using an API test kit. I use it for my main tank and testing for nitrates there is reading as expected. I moved the tank from the buyer to my place, temp controlled transport and had 1/4 of original water in tank. Was careful not to add anything to the tank before testing so i could get a good starting on readings.. Oh well i will monitor for a few weeks and see what happens. Thanks all

I purchased a 10 gallon, set up, used tank, for a quarantine tank. The seller said it was set up for over a year. It has 3 Buenos Aires tetras. The seller also said they never changed the water, just added some when it got low. I got it home and tested the water. 0ppm Amonia, 0ppm Nitrites, PH 8.4, and 0ppm nitrates. I would have thought the nitrates would have been very high. And KPH 9 drops. I was wondering if in fact it was cycled? I did a 75% water change and tested two days later, 0 ppm Amonia, 0ppm Nitrites and 0 ppm Nitrates. Ph lowered to 7.8. There was some algae in the tank, but not over loaded. Do you think it is cycled?
Hi Blommer. Three Tetras in 10 gallons of water isn't much of a load. But, what's surprising is you didn't kill the fish after doing such a large water change in a tank that's never had one before. The drastic change in the water chemistry after such a large flush of clean water would be enough to kill most fish. In this type of situation, you make changes slowly. Like changing a little more water with each water change and for a 10 gallon tank, you eventually change half the water a couple of times a week. This is the way to maintain a steady and healthy water chemistry.

10 Tanks

Thanks 10 tanks, good lesson to learn. So for so good on the fish health, they are active and eating well. Fingers crossed. I will monitor for Amonia, nitrites and nitrates and work up to 50% change. Thanks again

Bear in mind you are testing after a 75% water change.

If it's going to be a hospital tank, the fish have to move out.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back