US Capitol!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
It's an international world. If you haven't traveled outside your own country, you've shortchanged your life. The original things in settler/colonized state like the USA, Canada and Australia are from the people who were there prior to the European invasions. When you think about the mix of cultures and nationalities that went into all of us, we're going to bring baggage as we travel. Architecture, language, music - it's all up for grabs in a country of immigrants.

Another example - Memorial day, originally Decoration Day, began as paying tribute to both Union AND Confederate war dead.

Just stating the truth. Name one thing we have that isn't inspired off someone else's country/culture
Basketball... I’m sure that’s 100% American

Yaaaaaay we found the one true thing we didn't copy lol
I like to think inherited really , it’s not fair to say to stole things from nations that populated the states , English french Dutch etc fought a long time over North America and it’s Left it’s mark on modern America , only the same as the English and the french , could say we copied each other all the time but each nation has invaded the other that many times languages get mixed and so do culture

@Fishmanic, could we clear up the thread a little? I didn’t want this to turn into a big political discussion, I just wanted to share my experience at the Capitol building.

I like to think inherited really , it’s not fair to say to stole things from nations that populated the states , English french Dutch etc fought a long time over North America and it’s Left it’s mark on modern America , only the same as the English and the french , could say we copied each other all the time but each nation has invaded the other that many times languages get mixed and so do culture
I wouldn't agree with inherited but maybe I shouldn't say copy either...
@Fishmanic, could we clear up the thread a little? I didn’t want this to turn into a big political discussion, I just wanted to share my experience at the Capitol building.
Not really political but mk

History from my point of view rather than political. Like the building lot of history in the building it should be appreciated

Looking at just the past 50 years....

1971: Personal Computer​

Apple, IBM, Steve Jobs, and Bill Gates are all household names in the tech world these days, but a relatively obscure man named John Blankenbaker is credited with inventing the world's first personal computer. Blankenbaker was a pioneer on the computing frontier when he built the Kenback-1 Digital Computer in his garage in California.

Magnetic Resonance Imaging​

Countless human lives have been saved by the diagnostic capabilities of the MRI machine, widely considered one of the greatest breakthroughs in modern medicine. Dr. Raymond Damadian received a patent for his device in 1972 and would conduct the first full-body scan in 1977.

Graphical User Interface​

If you enjoy using a computer without typing long strings of complicated codes, you have Douglas Engelbart and Alan Kay to thank. In 1981, the pair developed the graphical user interface, which allows users to click icons and images using a mouse, an item Engelbart invented more than a decade earlier.

Human Genome Map​

When scientists Francis Collins and Craig Venter began work on mapping the human genome in the early 1990s, the government had already been using a much slower and more expensive method for sequencing the human genome's 3 billion base pairs. By developing a cheaper, faster method, Collins and Venter finished the project two years early and published their results in 2001, ushering in a new era in the effort to prevent and cure disease.

And then the next time you fly somewhere that
1903: First Fully Practical Airplane
The Wright brothers successfully launch the first powered, sustained, and controlled airplane flight.
or that
1938: Chocolate Chip Cookies
Although some dispute the chocolate chip cookie's origins, Ruth Wakefield popularized this iconic sweet treat with the help of Susan Brides at the Toll House Inn in Massachusetts. This is the first year the recipe appeared in print.

Looking at just the past 50 years....

And then the next time you fly somewhere that

or that
I guess I meant more cultural things like holidays, sports, architecture, and foods... Those type of things. There are always inventions and stuff, nothing really new about that.
Although that's cool we came up with chocolate chip cookies!!

You mean like the July 4th celebrations?
Do you mean like Google search?
How about Disney Land?
Baseball?
Walter Frederick Morrison (January 23, 1920 – February 9, 2010) was an American inventor and entrepreneur, who invented the Frisbee.

And what about the atomic bomb?

You mean like the July 4th celebrations?
Do you mean like Google search?
How about Disney Land?
Baseball?
Walter Frederick Morrison (January 23, 1920 – February 9, 2010) was an American inventor and entrepreneur, who invented the Frisbee.

And what about the atomic bomb?
July 4th... Eh, caused by another culture really...
Google search is tech, and good tech but I won't qualify that because it's an invention and while inventions are good, I'm really focusing on other things other than tech.
Baseball originated in Japan

Hey! Frisbee! That's a good one!

Atomic bomb is an embarrassment

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back