Urgent....please Help...cloudy Tank

No offence meant, but it sounds to me like you are waiting for suggestions that mean you dont need to take any of the fish back. It seems that there is not magic way to get around the problem. The tank is overstocked and numbers needs reducing.

i have a 7 gallon that i keep JUST a betta (fighting fish) in. all tanks under 10 gallons have very little stocking options.

you are keeping your filter running all the time yes?

in future you must remember to cycle your tank before you add any fish.
there are several guides on the forum on how to perform a fishless cycle, do a search!

No offence meant, but it sounds to me like you are waiting for suggestions that mean you dont need to take any of the fish back. It seems that there is not magic way to get around the problem. The tank is overstocked and numbers needs reducing.

I have now reduced the fish right down to 3 guppys and 2 catfish.

what do I do now?

IAs I say the tank was fine at the start with the the 5 fish in, the problems arose when I added the load more in.

Now I have reduced back to what I had, will the tank gradually get better, with daily watr changes etc?

please keep the help coming and thanks for all the help so far

A test kit would now be helpful. Understanding the chemistry of the water may help to diagnose why the water is cloudy..

Have you performed any water changes following the returning of the fish.

A test kit would now be helpful. Understanding the chemistry of the water may help to diagnose why the water is cloudy..

Have you performed any water changes following the returning of the fish.

Yeah, completed a change last night.

Will do another change tonight and attempt to get a water kit ASAP.

Cheers for your help

Did a search on cloudy smelly tanks and overstocking is the common denominator.. Hopefully with some water changes the water chemistry will improve and the smell and cloudiness will reduce.

The kit is always a good thing to have, so your doing the right thing. Fish keeping should be renamed water and fish keeping. If you keep the water well, then the fish bit is made much easier.

Good luck.

Squid

Did a search on cloudy smelly tanks and overstocking is the common denominator.. Hopefully with some water changes the water chemistry will improve and the smell and cloudiness will reduce.

The kit is always a good thing to have, so your doing the right thing. Fish keeping should be renamed water and fish keeping. If you keep the water well, then the fish bit is made much easier.

Good luck.

Squid

Thanks for all the help squid.

Done anothe water change tonight and each night I have done it the water condition has improved.

Still cloudy tonight, but much better.

No fish Have died in the last 24hrs, so must be improving

thanks again :D

If you're interested in the science of the tank, the cloudy water and smell is caused by excess ammonia and proteins in the water from fish waste. This will also cause foaming. If you can agitate the surface of the water and the bubbles don't pop almost instantly, I guarantee that you have ammonia in the water.

A test kit would prove very helpful to determine exactly how much ammonia has built up.

The best thing to do is keep doing daily partial water changes, until things settle down. Once established you can slow down to weekly water changes.

If you're interested in the science of the tank, the cloudy water and smell is caused by excess ammonia and proteins in the water from fish waste. This will also cause foaming. If you can agitate the surface of the water and the bubbles don't pop almost instantly, I guarantee that you have ammonia in the water.

A test kit would prove very helpful to determine exactly how much ammonia has built up.

The best thing to do is keep doing daily partial water changes, until things settle down. Once established you can slow down to weekly water changes.

Yeah your right, the bubbles which are at the top dont pop immediately. Havnt had any foaming yet.

i will get a test kit, but can only get to shops at weekends.

Cheers

Sanchez

Good luck.

Squid

Thanks for all the help squid.

Done anothe water change tonight and each night I have done it the water condition has improved.

Still cloudy tonight, but much better.

No fish Have died in the last 24hrs, so must be improving

thanks again :D

No problem, good luck ;)

Squid

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back