Urgent! Is my Oranda going to live?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

hayxoxhay

Reaction score
Help! A few days ago my Oranda goldfish which I bought in late June was behaving weirdly. She was really bloated, her genitalia more outwards, staying at the bottom of the tank and not eating. I'm new to this hobby and I panicked so I did a quick water change (20%) and she started swimming around (no longer staying at the bottom of the tank). but her swimming was weird cause of the swelling im her stomach she was tilting forward unable to swim properly. Since she didn't seem well I panicked and transferred her into a container filled with aquarium water and I gently pushed downwards on her lower stomach (close to the genitals) and literally an explosion of small white 'circle' shaped (unferilized eggs I'm assuming as she is alone in the tank) were released; picture for reference. I feel so bad because I didn't know at the time I wasn't supposed to push them out. it's the day after and the swelling went down but she is less active in the tank (not swimming much and rummaging through the substrate) is still not eating anything. Did i stress her out and that is why she isn't eating? Did I push too much and damaged her organs? Is she going to die? I'm worried it's been 2 days since she ate.
20221207_205052.jpg

Egg binding can happen in lone goldfish as they have no male to rub/press against them to help release eggs, or if water temps become too warm, or the light period is 12 hours or more. Some oranda breeders to express the eggs when fish become egg bound. That condition should be treated by a fish vet though as they will aspirate the fluid to see if a bacterial infection has developed or if the fish needs further treatment.

You can try reaching out to experienced oranda breeders for advice on your situation. You can also reach out to this fish doctor who has a YouTube video on this very subject:

You might also want to remove the eggs eventually If she isn’t eating as you don’t want them to get fungus, but generally speaking goldfish will eat their own eggs. You know they can’t be fertilized because you have no male. The unfertilized eggs turn white.

Good luck with your poor fish and I do hope she heals and recovers.

How is your oranda doing today?
She kept not eating and started staying at the bottom of the tank again so I got her some liquid antibiotics "tetra general tonic plus" which covers most of fish illnesses and she is on the second day of medication and she is slowly becoming more active again. I'm assuming she had an infection after releasing the eggs. I will try to feed her again tomorrow and see from there. Thanks for your concern!

I’m so sorry that your beautiful fish lost her battle yesterday. I held hope she would recover. You did everything you could think of for her. I hope you have some great pictures of her from her better days.

I’m so sorry that your beautiful fish lost her battle yesterday. I held hope she would recover. You did everything you could think of for her. I hope you have some great pictures of her from her better days.
Thanks for your kind words! really appreciate it 🙂

I am so sorry for your loss. You did the best you could for your oranda. Goldfish are so very easy to love but often hard to care for as they are so prone to many health issues. I have had many goldfish in my years in the hobby and have had lot of experience saying goodbye to them before their time.

Thank you so much for your kind words! It was a bit difficult for me to let go of her because I was determined to cure her, but I failed. I am glad to know that I'm not alone, puts my mind at ease. ❤️

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back