🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Morning TFF.

So we just got several serious weather warnings about severe ice storms coming through here. They expect to get an inch of ice, which is crazy. That being said, there will probably not be any power for a while and I have 4 fish tanks...

What can I do to get them prepared for this crazy weather? They are current up in my room, where the other real heat source (two fire places) is down stairs. My dad is going to trap all the heat in that one room so it’s super warm in there.

He also said he was going to drain all the pipes upstairs, so they don’t freeze. The word “freeze” almost gave me a heart attack. Tanks should not be freezing people. Should I move my tanks downstairs in the heated room?

If I keep the, where they are now, the will most likely freeze. That also means I will have to drain them almost all the way. But... if I drain them, where will I get the replacement water!?

Please help.

(It’s crazy, check it out: https://www.google.org/publicalerts/alert?aid=8ee3c99f6d20908f&hl=en&gl=US&source=wweather)

Your tanks won't freeze indoors.
You can wrap them in blankets to help keep them warm.
Most importantly, if the power is off for any amount of time, is to have some battery-powered air pumps on hand, to aerate the tanks...I bought a pack of 3 of these pumps (cheapos, but they work) for around $10 on Amazon.

Buy some 1 inch thick sheets of polystyrene foam and tape them to the outside of the tanks. When the power goes off, put a sheet of polystyrene foam on top of the tanks too.

Have a 4, 5 or 6mm thick coverglass on each tank.

Increase the temperature in the tanks to about 30C (86F) so they will be warmer when the power goes off. This will stop them getting too cold too quickly.

Theoretically, they shouldn't freeze in a house with insulation and if they are upstairs, there is less chance of that happening because hot air rises and the heat produced in the downstairs section, will help warm the upstairs area.

Buy some 1 inch thick sheets of polystyrene foam and tape them to the outside of the tanks. When the power goes off, put a sheet of polystyrene foam on top of the tanks too.

Have a 4, 5 or 6mm thick coverglass on each tank.

Increase the temperature in the tanks to about 30C (86F) so they will be warmer when the power goes off. This will stop them getting too cold too quickly.

Theoretically, they shouldn't freeze in a house with insulation and if they are upstairs, there is less chance of that happening because hot air rises and the heat produced in the downstairs section, will help warm the upstairs area.
So they shouldn’t freeze indoors, even if it’s less than 30F upstairs? Let’s just say the guy that make this house was an idiot and did a horrible job with everything. I wouldn’t trust the insulation upstairs...

So you don’t think I should move them downstairs to the heat?

Your tanks won't freeze indoors.
You can wrap them in blankets to help keep them warm.
Most importantly, if the power is off for any amount of time, is to have some battery-powered air pumps on hand, to aerate the tanks...I bought a pack of 3 of these pumps (cheapos, but they work) for around $10 on Amazon.
The battery powered pumps were in the back of my mind... do you think they would sell them at Walmart? My parents are going to get emergency food and supplies, so it would be much better than having to wait 3 days. (Assuming they would even deliver)

I'm not sure if they sell them at Walmart or not, check online and see, but that still doesn't guarantee they'll be in stock at your local shop. It would be a good idea to get them ordered (from somewhere) anyway, for future outages.
Surely you guys have lost power before, and the upstairs didn't get bitterly cold...no?

I'm not sure if they sell them at Walmart or not, check online and see, but that still doesn't guarantee they'll be in stock at your local shop. It would be a good idea to get them ordered (from somewhere) anyway, for future outages.
Surely you guys have lost power before, and the upstairs didn't get bitterly cold...no?
When we have lost power before (only lives here a little over 2 years) it was during the summer/spring time. (Power lines nocked out by trees from heavy rains and such) I’ve never lost power during winter...

I’ll text my parents and see if they have them. If they don’t have them, what should I use for aeration? Would they be ok with none?

Yes, the tanks will be OK with no aeration, but I'd start to worry after 2 or 3 days.
Hey, this all could be a moot subject, and you guys not lose power, after all.

Do get the air pumps, for future use...I live on the Gulf Coast, hurricanes are common here...last year, one knocked our power out for 6 days, those air pumps saved most...but not all...of my fish...of course, you need to keep batteries on hand, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=battery+powered+air+pumps+for+fish+tanks&ref=nb_sb_noss_2&tag=ff0d01-20

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So they shouldn’t freeze indoors, even if it’s less than 30F upstairs? Let’s just say the guy that make this house was an idiot and did a horrible job with everything. I wouldn’t trust the insulation upstairs...

So you don’t think I should move them downstairs to the heat?

The battery powered pumps were in the back of my mind... do you think they would sell them at Walmart? My parents are going to get emergency food and supplies, so it would be much better than having to wait 3 days. (Assuming they would even deliver)
Yes, they sell them at Walmart in the fishing tackle supplies. People keep them in bait buckets to keep bait alive. I bought 2 from there.

Ok guy, I need your opinion. Which one should I get? (These are my only options)
C93275A2-FDC5-4626-946D-05EF1ED6A00C.jpeg

I'd get one of the $5 ones for each of your tanks...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back