Urgent!!! Betta pineconing scales and fin rot

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Catfishs

Reaction score
So hi again off topic for a second but my cory catfish are doing great in their new tank.

So my betta... alot of things have been happening in my life lately so I fell behind in water changes for my 10 gallon and did the 20 gallon because it had more fish in it. Unfortunately, I found that tank more important 😕. I have learned my lesson not to do that and it was the first time I did it. So please don't focaus on that.
So going back I noticed my betta was getting ripped fins so I let it be and it healed back just fine (water was fine). Now the fins are severely ripped and I noticed his scales were pineconing. I got really scared and did a 70% water change without checking the parameters. So I will never really know if the water was bad or how bad it was. Now the water parameters are normal. I am treating him E.M from little research I did on fin rot. I did notice him between the filter and the heater so it could be the issue (I moved the heater away so he can't get stuck in it) he still is eating but is lethargic am I doing the right thing now?
20220921_060708.jpg
20220921_060708.jpg
20220921_060833.jpg
20220921_062108.jpg

Sorry not many people have answered. I do not know exactly what this could be and I am no expert myself. I saw this the day it was posted but was hoping others with more experience would chime in to help.
This could be dropsy. Again, I am not an expert so do not take this as a surefire diagnosis.
But I'm sorry your fish is going through this and hope he gets better.

@Colin_T @GaryE

It's hard to say. A bacterial infection. What sort would need a laboratory to say.

Erythro probably won't work, but I'm not sure anything will. Sorry.

IMO it's definitely not dropsy, he'd probably be dead right now. Don't jump to medication, What are your water parameters?? tank mates?? depending on the cause of fin damage you could add a source of tannins to your water, it could promote growth. If you do have tank mates do NOT add ny meds to the main tank, you could upright kill the other fish.

My guess is Columnaris, which is difficult to get rid of. He also looks quite thin, I almost wonder if he has internal parasites. I'm no expert, but that is my guess. As far as meds, that's a tough one. Colin usually floats around here and seems to have the answers for this kind of stuff. My long battle with Columnaris was won by aquarium salt, but it was for guppies and not a Betta. I hate to say it, but often times by the time my fish looks like that, even meds won't turn it around. 😕 I'm not sure if the antibiotics will help at this point, but make sure to do the full treatment, even if he starts to look better. Goodluck, sorry I'm not more help. A pic from the side and other angles might help.

IMO it's definitely not dropsy, he'd probably be dead right now. Don't jump to medication, What are your water parameters?? tank mates?? depending on the cause of fin damage you could add a source of tannins to your water, it could promote growth. If you do have tank mates do NOT add ny meds to the main tank, you could upright kill the other fish.
He's actually doing better (started the meds because I wasn't getting replies at first) he is much more active. I have tannins I use catapa leaves he doss not have any tank mates

He's actually doing better (started the meds because I wasn't getting replies at first) he is much more active. I have tannins I use catapa leaves he doss not have any tank mates
I'm glad to hear!

It might be a parasite infection, the fish get really thin, and scales look wonky.

Glad to hear he's improving, sorry, didn't see this thread before. Can you get some photos from the side please?

He has a patch of raised scales, but when we talk about "pineconing", it's when the whole body of the fish is swelling due to internal organs failing, so all the scales are raised and the fish looks like a pinecone. Your betta just has a small patch that could be physical damage or a parasite, but it's not the dreaded dropsy.

Do you know why the fins became shredded? Are there plastic plants or any sharp decor in there that he could have torn them on? What are the water test results now?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back