Upgrading to larger tank...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Chlorine/chloramine - if the water supply has chlorine, you have the choice of leaving all the new water to stand in an open container for a day or two for the chlorine to gas off, or use dechlorinator. Chloramine does not gas off so if that is used in the water supply a dechlorinator must be used.

Most people now recommend at least 50% a week with many doing 75% a week. Most of us to not have the kind of set up that allows us to do no water changes. Are you thinking of the Walstad method? With this method, the tank is very lightly stocked - far fewer fish than most of us a willing to keep.
I'm going to look into that Walstad method. I would be content with just my Angels in the tank. Though I will need to get at least one more female. The three I have I purchased together. They were about the size of a quarter at the time. Here we are a few months later, and they are a nice size, but it appears I have one female and two males. Two have paired off, and there's a bit of testosterone in the tank. They spawned a couple of weeks ago, but my tank isn't set up for that, and when I woke the next morning, the eggs were gone. She placed the eggs on an air line in the tank. Not the best of places. I did have just my Pleco in the tank by herself for quite a while, and my levels were all excellent. I really only added new water when I had evaporation loss.

I am wondering, if I take the water and the filter and it's media from my current tank and use it to help set up a larger tank, will I still have to do a cycle period on the new, larger tank? It seems I read somewhere that if you use the water and the filter and it's media from the current for the new, you can go ahead and switch your fish over immediately. I plan on switching from current gravel over to sand or a substrate for growing plants, and new decor. I will keep and use the driftwood I currently have, also. Will it be ok to add my fish, and new plants, into the new tank as soon as I get everything switched and set up? Thanks for any help and advice!!
Thank you so much everyone for all of the information, ideas and advice! It's all greatly appreciated, to be sure! So glad I found this gem forum, I see I'm going to learn a lot here. :)

you don't have to have a RO filter to remove chlorine/chloramine. I am planning on getting this under-sink filter: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Aquasan...aucet-in-Brushed-Nickel-THD-5300-55/301782806 it removes chlorine and chloramine, many pharmaceuticals, and also has a prefilter to reduce TDS slightly. It doesn't waste as much water as RO units do, so depending on the cost of water for you, the math may make this type of filter (replacing cartridges) cheaper than paying for the water than goes down the drain with an RO unit.
Be careful not to get lulled into a false sense of security. These do work but when the carbon block is saturated they stop working (and may release stuff already retained in the carbon). So make sure you test the water coming out of the filter for chlorine. When I used such a filter I still used to add dechlorinator (just in case :rolleyes:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back