Upgrading to a 20 gallon!

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

newmag1659

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm very excited as I am upgrading my 10 gallon to a 20 gallon. I currently have three adult (two female, one male) gardneri killifish and 6 corys (4 albino, 2 emerald), and two nerite snails. The tank is heavily planted and I intend to do the same with the 20 gallon. Cycling shouldn't take long as I can move some of the water, but more importantly, filter media, into the new tank.

That being said, can I add new fish? Should I? I would love shrimp but I am confident that the killifish would eat them right up.
Parameters of the current 10 gallon:
76 degrees F
0/0/15ppm
pH is around 7.5
very soft water, about 10-20ppm

Should I get more corys? Should I allow my killifish to breed and keep the fry instead of selling them? A female betta? Or are there different fish I could consider? OR should I add nothing at all. I believe my 10 gallon is currently fully stocked, but not overstocked. Advice appreciated as I begin this exciting upgrade.

Last edited:
Consider some rasboras or some small tetra for a schooling fish. Have your killis as the "centerpiece".

Other than than, maybe 2 more emerald cories.

Consider some rasboras or some small tetra for a schooling fish. Have your killis as the "centerpiece".

Other than than, maybe 2 more emerald cories.
How many rasboras would you say? I don’t want it overcrowd

Oh then if its a 20 tall, I'd not get larger schoolers, maybe ember tetras would do better :) just unsure if your killis are large enough to eat them.

Oh then if its a 20 tall, I'd not get larger schoolers, maybe ember tetras would do better :) just unsure if your killis are large enough to eat them.
Definitely not - the killis are about 1.5 inches, 2 max. How many ember tetras would you recommend?

no more than 8 in a tall. Id treat it like a 10 gallon footprint.

Id also keep the cories at 6, no more, especially since they're a larger species (the emeralds particularly)

no more than 8 in a tall. Id treat it like a 10 gallon footprint.

Id also keep the cories at 6, no more, especially since they're a larger species (the emeralds particularly)
Thanks! The corys seem pretty happy and they all school together, so I’ll not get any more.

so does everyone else recommend ember tetras over rasboras, like chili rasboras? I totally trust @NCaquatics, I just want to get as many opinions as possible and do the right research before getting any new fish

I would have considered chili rasboras or other microrasboras... but i worried their narrow body shape combined with their small size may make them easily eaten by your killies. The ember tetras have a taller body compared to the microrasboras.

And your water is quite too soft for most of the tiny rainbow fish too.

so does everyone else recommend ember tetras over rasboras, like chili rasboras? I totally trust @NCaquatics, I just want to get as many opinions as possible and do the right research before getting any new fish
I have a shoal of ember tetras in my tetra tank and I like the way they swim together and they are good looking fish. I really like them.

I would have considered chili rasboras or other microrasboras... but i worried their narrow body shape combined with their small size may make them easily eaten by your killies. The ember tetras have a taller body compared to the microrasboras.

And your water is quite too soft for most of the tiny rainbow fish too.
That makes a lot of sense! I think if I end up adding to this tank, I’ll add some ember tetras. Thank y’all!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back