Upgrading from NANO.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

smellyangryman

Moved On
Reaction score
I have successfully kept and maintained a nano reef for some time now.
I want to move on into the bigger fish.
Its not much of a jump, i will be moving on to a 4" tank.
I am just wondering if i would be able to keep my Black Ocellaris clowns with bigger fish? I would love for them to transfer to.
What fish would be suitible for a 4" tank?
Any sort of tangs?

do u mean a 4 foot tank?

a tang probably needs a little bit bigger tank than that but u could keep him in there for a while if ur planning on getting a bigger tank. as for ur other fish im pretty sure it would b fine in ur bigger tank... im only 14 and i have a 150 gallon tank which is not going yet but i have currently a 30 gallon tank going and it has a yellow tang a clown, porcupine puffer, shrimp and starfish... i know that i need a bigger tank but i should have them converted pretty soon.

todd

good luck with ur new tank

I have successfully kept and maintained a nano reef for some time now.

As i recall I think you have kept Marines for about 9 weeks? Maybe a little longer. Considering it takes roughly 12 months for a tank to fully mature i find it remarkable that you are convinced that the tank is successful. How do you know that there are still not problems ahead? The algae cycle has not even completed yet.

Im sorry if i sound a little off on this and i fully encourage people to have the largest tank they can afford to maintain. However, i do find the above comment a little misleading and i do not want others to read this and feel they can simply swap and upgrade tanks after a few weeks and claim they are a succesfull reefkeeper.

My nano reef has been up for only a few months now and it only feels like stormy seas just subsided and waters are less rough. Don't get what we call in the biz 'the euphoria of termination', ie, or don't become complacent because it seems like the big stuff is over. I agree with Navarre..there is a lot more maturation to come. Settle in with this one, fine tune it, get some 'flying time'. JMO. SH

I completely concur with the 2 previous posters. The worst problem I've had has been a major overgrowth of hair algae and it didn't even show up til my tank had been running for 6+mos. It's FINALLY under control now, but I'm still short of that year mark for having the tank up and running so I'm still very cautious about saying that I'm "successful" in my nano-reefing!

saltwaterrocks said:
do u mean a 4 foot tank?

a tang probably needs a little bit bigger tank than that but u could keep him in there for a while if ur planning on getting a bigger tank. as for ur other fish im pretty sure it would b fine in ur bigger tank... im only 14 and i have a 150 gallon tank which is not going yet but i have currently a 30 gallon tank going and it has a yellow tang a clown, porcupine puffer, shrimp and starfish... i know that i need a bigger tank but i should have them converted pretty soon.

todd

good luck with ur new tank
why are you advising others when you obviously dont have much experience and have a small tank with a ton of incompatabilities? i mean, cmon....

Sorry, just in my eyes it looked all fine.
I needed to convert the tank anyways, my electricity bill is huge and parents will only allow me to keep one tank operating untill we get out of debt.
Well its all converted now anyways.
I put all my live sand in the new tank, i put the filters in without a wash, i added the protein skimmer.
Then day 2 i put the live rock in, then the rest of the water from my old tank. Now today i added the corals and fish and crabs.
Everything seems well, but i doubt that will stick.
I am going down to south this weekend end, planning to bring back alot of live rock and hopefully a little coral will be on the rock :)

you're not going to steal the live rock from the environment are you? my guess is that it is not only illegal but you have a huge chance of introducing foreign substances into the tank that could harm your tank...but i'm no expert..

no my friend it is not illegal.
I am going to a pearl farming spot where live rock is grown, mymate works there.

smellyangryman said:
no my friend it is not illegal.
I am going to a pearl farming spot where live rock is grown, mymate works there.
wish i could do that :/ lol, that would be so much fun

Most reactions

Back