Upgrading betta tank. I need help

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ThatFishGirl6231

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon betta tank. I have a few fake plants, and some little artificial caves. I want to change the entire tank and make it planted. I also want to replace the gravel with sand.

Here's everything I want to do:

Get live plants
Replace gravel with sand and plant substrate
Get some shrimp
Get some snails

Tell me if this is a good idea. Also I need some plant suggestions. I think I want hornwort and pearl grass. I also want a red/pink plant but I don't know any. Please help, I don't really know that much stuff about plants.

Some good plants are Java fern, Java moss, anubias, micro sword, and betta moss balls. (I looked this up and have never had Java moss or micro sword) bettas especially love anubias. I don’t know about the bright colored plants... some good snails are mystery snails and nerite snails. Everyone seems to love cherry shrimp. Nerite snails would probably be better as they are smaller. They don’t breed in freshwater. I don’t think they eat plants and they are brightly colored.

If you want pink, go for hygrophila rosanaverig. Or ludwigia repens for red. Some crypt varieties too.

Most other red plants require high light, lots of iron, and C02.

Some good plants are Java fern, Java moss, anubias, micro sword, and betta moss balls. (I looked this up and have never had Java moss or micro sword) bettas especially love anubias. I don’t know about the bright colored plants... some good snails are mystery snails and nerite snails. Everyone seems to love cherry shrimp. Nerite snails would probably be better as they are smaller. They don’t breed in freshwater. I don’t think they eat plants and they are brightly colored.
I have nerite snails. They are great. I also have a ton of moss balls.

There's no need to change the substrate. Just plant the plants into the gravel you already have.

Add a liquid iron based plant fertiliser and monitor the levels with an Iron (Fe) test kit. Keep the iron levels around 1mg/ Lt (1ppm).

Rotala macranda is a nice red plant that does reasonably well under water.

There's no need to change the substrate. Just plant the plants into the gravel you already have.

Add a liquid iron based plant fertiliser and monitor the levels with an Iron (Fe) test kit. Keep the iron levels around 1mg/ Lt (1ppm).

Rotala macranda is a nice red plant that does reasonably well under water.
I know there's nothing wrong with gravel, but mine is colorful, and I like it too look more natural if it's gonna be planted. I'm gonna change it anyway so I might as well do sand because I like the look better.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back