Upgraded to a 29 gallon this is day one of it's fishless cycle!

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

catphish

Reaction score
Best of luck to the plants in there! Can't wait to see it grow out, but also once it is cycled I will be salvaging and transplanting some plants from my current 20 gallon community tank.
IMG_6540.jpg

Thank you!

Yeah, my current tank is just a plant jungle but I wanted to try something a little different. I hope that the hygrophilia difformis in the back does what it does best and fills out the tank and breaks sightlines for my lady Bettas. I wanted to give my Pepper Cories max sand space and the Amanos will reign supreme on the driftwood. My amazon sword was suffering at the back of my 20 so I am hoping she gets either taller or wider in the front there.

Thank you!

Yeah, my current tank is just a plant jungle but I wanted to try something a little different. I hope that the hygrophilia difformis in the back does what it does best and fills out the tank and breaks sightlines for my lady Bettas. I wanted to give my Pepper Cories max sand space and the Amanos will reign supreme on the driftwood. My amazon sword was suffering at the back of my 20 so I am hoping she gets either taller or wider in the front there.
You'll probably see the sword melt a little. Don't get discouraged if you don't see growth for like 2 months, its probably just getting some roots down. It'll take off for sure in that spot, just make sure it gets its root tabs.

Did you consider laying the driftwood down with the arm sticking up?
I would/will if I ever get a long tank. Truth be told I have been desperately searching for a good deal on a 20 gallon long (or any low long tank tbh) but I traded this tank which was in excellent condition for some junk I had laying around my house on a local app (guilty of being a thrifty hobbiest). With tall tanks I feel the need to build up instead of out because it hides my hardware better.

You'll probably see the sword melt a little. Don't get discouraged if you don't see growth for like 2 months, its probably just getting some roots down. It'll take off for sure in that spot, just make sure it gets its root tabs.
Question for you, my current two tanks are dirted tanks so I have never used root tabs but I wanted to get away from dirted tanks with this new set up. However, I did use a very shallow base layer of aqua soil (barely enough to cover the bottom) as I had some leftover from making a shrimp bowl recently, will this get my plants through at least the first few weeks? Or should I be tabbin' right away?

Question for you, my current two tanks are dirted tanks so I have never used root tabs but I wanted to get away from dirted tanks with this new set up. However, I did use a very shallow base layer of aqua soil (barely enough to cover the bottom) as I had some leftover from making a shrimp bowl recently, will this get my plants through at least the first few weeks? Or should I be tabbin' right away?
I never go with soil, I've heard it can be a real mess. The nutrients should allow to not tab for a while. I'd say after about 2 weeks, get set.....and....start tabbin' :). Don't be afraid to really root tab your substrate up by the way. That sword will thank you :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back