Updated and Redone! 225 Gallon Planted Tank Build

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Hamsnacks

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Was going to post as I built but I knew due to work/life this was going to be a very slow build.
But let's begin.

Picked up a Used 225 Gallon Tank, the couple decided to go Saltwater and turned out to be a disaster, money wasn't an issue but they just didn't have the proper knowledge, and their plumbing was completely off. Ended up taking it off their hands for a really good deal.

225 Gallon
72" Wide, 24" High, 30" Deep
1/2" Thick Glass

1st Day Moving the tank down to the basement, figured 2 strong guys could do it.
Horrible Start

I2Lyhrq.jpg

H9L9cfq.jpg

Removed the front panel and decided to take advantage of the opening and clean the tank up, easier than expected to remove the left over residue.

DhtXuPR.jpg

A few days later, replaced the front. Back in business.

Ww47t7c.jpg

Working on the stand cover (still deciding if I want a cover or not)

abq0OYn.jpg

Hooked up all the plumbing and decided to spray paint everything blue.

z7vUVRt.jpg

Current Sump Setup (90 Gallon)
Adding more media soon, and removing the carbon after 2 weeks.

cNdoH8C.jpg

Current Light Set up. 6 x Sunblaster 54w T5HO Bulbs.
Hoping I won't have an algae issue, but I plan on doing short and carpeting plants, so I want them to reach to the bottom.

NeKjiI6.jpg

qQWAZrP.jpg

Now for the AquaScaping!

BRsyOG3.jpg

Went with 60lbs of Seiryu Stone and 60lbs of Leopard Stone. Wish I purchased a bit more but after many failed attempts I think I am happy with the results.

77L8hEC.jpg

QOwPMoM.jpg

0XCgF67.jpg

lrDUOxO.jpg

Plants will be going in today and I will post some pictures when it is complete and the tank is filled.

That tank is beautiful!! I love the little hints of driftwood you put here, and there. Are you using any special kind of substrate? (Nutrient filled)

I would love to see the plants in the tank, so exciting!! :)

(P.S. are you planning on useing CO2, Or not? ) :)

Last edited:
That tank is beautiful!! I love the little hints of driftwood you put here, and there. Are you using any special kind of substrate? (Nutrient filled)

I would love to see the plants in the tank, so exciting!! :)

(P.S. are you planning on useing CO2, Or not? ) :)

Thank you!
No special substrate, regular sand and black beauty sand, I did insert Thrive Caps throughout the sand though.
I am currently running CO2, will be posting more pictures this weekend.

Very nice. What are your plans as far as fish go?

I have some ideas I plan on bouncing off the members on here, just making some combinations first and then going to post in the next couple days.

Lots of work but what s fun and rewarding project! Can’t wait to see the plants and the final results!

I agree, I would love to see a plant list, and a stocking list....:)

I see a tank of the month win in your future. Next TOTM contest starts around September 1st.

Last edited:
Hope have a lot of supports under the floor. Wouldnt want to see that tank end up in the basement. The water alone would weigh almost a ton.

Hope have a lot of supports under the floor. Wouldnt want to see that tank end up in the basement. The water alone would weigh almost a ton.

I figured that to, are you adding any extra floor supports @Hamsnacks? :)

Actually placed in the basement. I'd never risk it on the top floor, I'd be so paranoid haha.

It'll be interesting to see if it does anything to the flooring underneath it over time though.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back