upcoming Swordtale fry.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I also caught her birthing I am pretty sure right away. I had been in the tank and the sump just like 30 minutes earlier, and there was nothing there. So pretty sure that I caught her right at the start.

So, my Swordtail is going to pop soon.

How do you know when to put her in isolation? I don't want to lock her in this little breeding box prematurely.

Will she really have over 150 babies? I don't have a secondary tank, so I am not really sure wtf to do with all of these. They can spend some small amount of time in this little nursery, but otherwise, Ill have to rehome them fast.

how easy is it to transfer fry? I have never really had my fish breed before cause I always bought all males or females. But in an effort to bring the aggression levels in the tank down a little, I have started to introduce opposite sex for the more aggressive fish to occupy their time.

I really don't want 150 babies all over my main tank either, since, whatever wouldn't get eaten, would certainly end up in my filter. and pumps.
Her gravid spot will get very dark and she will try to stay by herself and hide from the other fish in her tank also her vent will develop sort of a point, some are more pronounced than others but I like to have a 5 or 10 gallon tank ready to go with a brooder box to put the Pregnant female in (make sure it is one with plenty of room for mom and there is enough circulation of water for her) when the fry are born they can just go down into the 10 gallon tank and I usually have a little Java Moss on the bottom of the tank and duck weed floating on top so the fry feel secure.

Her gravid spot will get very dark and she will try to stay by herself and hide from the other fish in her tank also her vent will develop sort of a point, some are more pronounced than others but I like to have a 5 or 10 gallon tank ready to go with a brooder box to put the Pregnant female in (make sure it is one with plenty of room for mom and there is enough circulation of water for her) when the fry are born they can just go down into the 10 gallon tank and I usually have a little Java Moss on the bottom of the tank and duck weed floating on top so the fry feel secure.

I am going to set up a side tank for breeding / quarantine, but I have not yet been able to do so yet. For the moment, I am stuck in a position of just having a 150 gallong tank with a small breeder box inside.

So. I went to go put some powdered brine shrimp in there. I clutzed, knocked the lid off, and pushed the edge to far into the water, both little guys got out.

They made a 8 inch dash for freedom, and were promptly eaten. :(

I did attach a pic of the fish form just a few minutes ago.

Attachments

• pregost.jpg
    pregost.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 45
Sorry to hear they were eaten...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back