Unwell Betta, Please Help

An article if anyone would like to read it.
As it is rather long I will note that the salt we use in aquariums to treat infections or nitrite poisoning is just sodium chloride, not marine salts or mineral salts. Also that hardness minerals (mainly calcium chloride and magnesium chloride) are utilised during osmoregulation.
Exactly sodium chloride does nothing for fish

For the OP, as we don't have a definitive diagnosis for the fish's condition, it would be unwise to add a treatment. Ultra clean water will not be stressful. Sadly he is so poorly that any stress will kill him.

An article if anyone would like to read it.
As it is rather long I will note that the salt we use in aquariums to treat infections or nitrite poisoning is just sodium chloride, not marine salts or mineral salts. Also that hardness minerals (mainly calcium chloride and magnesium chloride) are utilised during osmoregulation.
Nice read

Natalie your fish may just be getting old and there is not a lot we can do about that, I have one that is around the same age as yours and looks pretty much the same, unfortunately bettas do not grow old gracefully :/ just keep up with regular water changes at least weekly, keep him warm 78/80f and offer him some nice tasty bloodworm with his regular food from time to time.

I am not ridiculing I can’t help it if you have a Low self confidence. You support salt more than you do yourself.(pity)
Let's keep this conversation civil. If you have nothing to add to the original subject of the thread, then do not post. Consider this a warning. We are not here to argue, we are here to support one another in the fishkeeping hobby.

Natalie your fish may just be getting old and there is not a lot we can do about that, I have one that is around the same age as yours and looks pretty much the same, unfortunately bettas do not grow old gracefully :/ just keep up with regular water changes at least weekly, keep him warm 78/80f and offer him some nice tasty bloodworm with his regular food from time to time.
I did wonder about old age but from what I can ascertain he is less than 2 years. Other members have had older bettas (4 or 7 years IIRC) Which is this the expected lifespan for a betta? Or maybe those with longer living fish were atypical or they didn't have betta splendens?

I did wonder about old age but from what I can ascertain he is less than 2 years. Other members have had older bettas (4 or 7 years IIRC) Which is this the expected lifespan for a betta? Or maybe those with longer living fish were atypical or they didn't have betta splendens?
2 year applies to any betta

API Stresscoat conditioner. I bough Seachem conditioner to use instead now though
Be carefull with these conditionners.... I'd like to say : forget them, and prefer Terminalia catappa leaves used for centuries in Asia.

As this breeder is very serious, in doubt, she does not breed any dragon or rosetail genes.

I can never seem to keep bettas for much longer than 2 years at a push they always seem to look knackered by the time they reach 1 and then go downhill from there, I do live in a hard water area so that may be a problem for them.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back