Unwanted Snail Infestation 🐌

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Melanie.Laugher

Reaction score
My tank is currently being over run with snails. I have no idea what kind they are. Pretty sure they cam in on my live plants I purchased through a private seller through market place. It started with maybe 5, but now there's sooooo many. I just pulled out 23 and I can clearly see many more smaller ones on the bottom of the tank. Please help me with tips on how I can reduce the amount that I have in my tank other than fishing out the ones on the walls of the tank. I'm open to any suggestions at this point.
Thanks in advance!!!
I have attached a picture of the ones that I pulled out, if anyone can tell me what type of snails they are and if they're a bigger problem then I realize.

Attachments

• 20211205_222617.jpg
    20211205_222617.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 43
Hi and welcome to the forum :)

The red snails are ramshorn snails
There are also 2 species of pond snail (Lymnaea)

They can all be a pain in aquariums. They produce clear jelly clusters with eggs in and these are usually attached to plants or rocks and can survive out of water for quite a few hours.

Personally, I would squash the pond snails and if you want a few ramshorns, then keep them. Otherwise squish em all. DEATH TO SNAILS :)

Colin is well known for his dislike of snails :) I have these pest snails in both my tanks.

They are not bad things to have in a tank except when their population increases out of control. The main reason for a lot of snails is too much food. Uneaten fish food allows them to multiply quickly. The simplest way to keep their numbers down is to make sure you don't over feed the fish.

Avel1896 has a snail trap, she shows an image of how to make one in post #4 in this thread

Most reactions

trending

Back