Unwanted live snails after a month of worming treatment?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

iburley

Reaction score
I've just completed four, weekly, tank doses of Flubendazole to treat a rainbowfish with suspected worms (see: https://www.fishforums.net/threads/active-and-ravenous-but-thin-with-long-stringy-poop.454375/ ).

I used NT Labs Anti-Fluke & Wormer, which is Flubendazole based.

While my rainbowfish is no worse off, the symptoms that indicate worms are still present (long stringy poop and underweight body). Extra feeding has helped.

Anyway, now the treatment has ended and I have flushed the tank, I'm beginning to see very small rams horn snails on the glass near or at the top of the water. The are only 2-4mm but they do appear to be alive and well.

This rather surprises me because i thought the Flubendazole would have killed them off?

I suspect that these came with some plants I added to the tank two weeks ago, but these did undergo two doses of the wormer.

I'm now wondering if the wormer was ineffective both for the fish and the snails?

Any ideas?

In my experience, deworming medications do not affect snails. However, I have not used Flubendazole so cannot comment on whether it does.

It takes a good month for fish to start gaining weight after being dewormed. Just keep feeding it up with a variety of foods and give it a chance. If it is still skinny after a month of good food, then it might have another issue (possibly thyroid problems or really high metabolism), which can't be treated.

Don't worry about the stringy poop, as long as it's not white or clear it's fine. Make sure the fish gets plenty of real plant matter in its diet, not just vege flakes.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back