Unsure

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Reaction score
My son has a 35 gallon tank and in it is 2 pink convicts, 1 jack demsey, and 1 green terror. I just noticed today that the pink convicts have little ones and I'm unsure if the other fishes should be in the same tank. i know that the convicts will protect the little ones but I was wondering if I should get something to seperate the other aggressive fish from the convicts family or should I give the other fishes to someone and let the convicts have the whole tank?

--------------------

i had a full size pair of green terrors and they reach 7 inches MAX. in my experience of course. the female only tips 5 inches. as for the jacks they can reach about 8 inches. but i have never seen one this size in real life.

way too small for all them, a nice size for the cons, that all really. the others need atleast a 75 gallon for them two.

My son has a 35 gallon tank and in it is 2 pink convicts, 1 jack demsey, and 1 green terror. I just noticed today that the pink convicts have little ones and I'm unsure if the other fishes should be in the same tank. i know that the convicts will protect the little ones but I was wondering if I should get something to seperate the other aggressive fish from the convicts family or should I give the other fishes to someone and let the convicts have the whole tank?
Yes, def move the JD and GT.

Some people say JD's are not like their name and will be fine with tank mates, but in my experience with JD's, they will become aggressive towards all other fish in the tank as long as the fish is less than double the size of the JD :crazy: . They are very territorial, even from a small size (1 to 1.5").

The convicts can be very aggressive when they breed as all other New World's, as I'm sure you've seen so the group you have in the tank is just a big fight waiting to happen.

I don't know much about GT's but from what I've heard, they are just as aggressive as the most aggressive cichlids. So, I would move the JD and GT to a 75G or 90G (if you can afford a new tank) or I would recomend returning the fish to the lfs if you can't find an adoptive home.

I had a JD and he was about 8 inches, bought him that big from a pet store for like $20. He attacked every fish in my tank. I had to take him back. :no:

It is hard if you have only one tank but, UNDERSTOCK! My first tank, 29g, I had it way overstocked and I paid the price; sick fish. I now stock to 50-65% of the "inch rule" (inch of fish per gallon). The ONLY exception I make now is during quarantine.

It is hard if you have only one tank but, UNDERSTOCK! My first tank, 29g, I had it way overstocked and I paid the price; sick fish. I now stock to 50-65% of the "inch rule" (inch of fish per gallon). The ONLY exception I make now is during quarantine.

I agree...understock and your fish will be happier and healthier...and you will be happier knowing you are providing a good home to them.

I agree...understock and your fish will be happier and healthier...and you will be happier knowing you are providing a good home to them.

everything stated above, def very true and i try to hold by this standard now. Empty water may not be the best thing to look at but it wont be that nice to look at shredded up fish from aggression or fish floating on their backs either......... i take the empty water

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back