Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
thats the thing,

even goldfish, fancy goldfish, the black ones with their eyes on each of their heads, they are not actually supposed to be like that, but they were mutated, and they cant see properly, but fishkeepers sell them because they look "cute" appeal to kids
no i dont think those are targeted towards kids....
they are taergeted to goldfish enthuthiasts
but the bubble eye is targeted towards kids but they are hard to keep...

PheonixKingZ - your reply was exactly what was in my head to write. How can it be that we both "have 8 in my 29g tank - they are all happy and healthy."

In your case you were referring to Neon Tetras I believe (I got caught up in all the popcorn action on this thread) while I was just getting around to responding to the pleco hater because I have 8 in my 29g tank and they are all happy and healthy. I bet he/she would REALLY hate one I have. As a baby he was born white, then he turned yellow and now he is brown, no bristles have come in yet so he is a she or its just too early to tell. Mine are all in a tank with a bunch of pissy rainbow fish. I saw a youtube special with Cory? and the man that's identified more Rainbow fish than anybody else in the world, (Frankly, now that I have some I don't know why he bothers). His entire basement is full of 10 and 20 gallon tanks of Rainbow fish. So I went online to a fishstore that takes particularly good photos of the fish they sell - so I strolled through their rainbow isle and bought a couple of dozen,

It's been about a 9 months or so and I have 12 left out of the original 24. I USED to have a file showing the history of every fish I've owned but Window corrupted it during an update - I'm still working on getting it back. They used to be in the tank with the DoJo Loaches which as I've been posting, has had off and on problems with White mold. In fact we changed the water last Friday and today is Wednesday and it just now turned cloudy again. It always happens fairly rapidly - over an hour or so. So one time the Rainbow fish were in there with the Dojo's who can be harmless but VERY annoying and the tank turned white and the Rainbows started dying. I grabbed a big net and caught the rest and moved them to a different tank, none have died yet - but I think the Rainbow fish which are very mildly aggressive compared to Dwarf Gourami stressed the Gourami out and they all starting dying one at a time - water was fine, they looked fine. I can never find a reason, My last Gourami died Sunday. Two days after a water change so can't blame that.

Does anybody besides me thing Rainbow fish are a boring species and not very intelligent? I do have 2 bright red males and 2 bright yellow females that are very nice the coloring on the other is so subtle you don't even notice it.

PheonixKingZ - your reply was exactly what was in my head to write. How can it be that we both "have 8 in my 29g tank - they are all happy and healthy."

In your case you were referring to Neon Tetras I believe (I got caught up in all the popcorn action on this thread) while I was just getting around to responding to the pleco hater because I have 8 in my 29g tank and they are all happy and healthy. I bet he/she would REALLY hate one I have. As a baby he was born white, then he turned yellow and now he is brown, no bristles have come in yet so he is a she or its just too early to tell. Mine are all in a tank with a bunch of pissy rainbow fish. I saw a youtube special with Cory? and the man that's identified more Rainbow fish than anybody else in the world, (Frankly, now that I have some I don't know why he bothers). His entire basement is full of 10 and 20 gallon tanks of Rainbow fish. So I went online to a fishstore that takes particularly good photos of the fish they sell - so I strolled through their rainbow isle and bought a couple of dozen,

It's been about a 9 months or so and I have 12 left out of the original 24. I USED to have a file showing the history of every fish I've owned but Window corrupted it during an update - I'm still working on getting it back. They used to be in the tank with the DoJo Loaches which as I've been posting, has had off and on problems with White mold. In fact we changed the water last Friday and today is Wednesday and it just now turned cloudy again. It always happens fairly rapidly - over an hour or so. So one time the Rainbow fish were in there with the Dojo's who can be harmless but VERY annoying and the tank turned white and the Rainbows started dying. I grabbed a big net and caught the rest and moved them to a different tank, none have died yet - but I think the Rainbow fish which are very mildly aggressive compared to Dwarf Gourami stressed the Gourami out and they all starting dying one at a time - water was fine, they looked fine. I can never find a reason, My last Gourami died Sunday. Two days after a water change so can't blame that.

Does anybody besides me thing Rainbow fish are a boring species and not very intelligent? I do have 2 bright red males and 2 bright yellow females that are very nice the coloring on the other is so subtle you don't even notice it.
I'm struggling to get past your huge mortality rate and the 'never find a reason'...and your belief, to which you are fully entitled, that plecos just living equates to 'happy and healthy'.
That's my 'unpopular opinion'. ;) :p

Rainbows don't have huge personalities, true. Nothing like a rainbow fish or a pearl gourami. They like to swim and eat. People mostly keep them for their colors, which are amazing when they're kept correctly.

I had a bit of trouble following your post...were you keeping 24 rainbows in a 29 gallon tank? I find that even a 55 gallon tank is a bit too small for most rainbow species. I had over 20 in my 150 gallon tank, where they could really stretch out and grow, and they were hands-down the most beautifully-colored fish I've ever kept.

Why are so many fish channels run by guys who look like they could be working at Gas Monkey Garage?..wear all black,goatees and I'm sure lots of tats.
Not what i would have guessed would be doing fishvids.

Why are so many fish channels run by guys who look like they could be working at Gas Monkey Garage?..wear all black,goatees and I'm sure lots of tats.
Not what i would have guessed would be doing fishvids.
All of us on the forum have big muscles, beards, and tattoos. Even the ladies. Don't you? If not, we'll have to ban you.

I got the muscles,skipped the goatee and tat's. I try to avoid black even if it does make me look slender..😂🙄

Oh my turn! Keeping birds in cages and fish in tanks is inherently "inhumane". 99.9% of us have at least one living creature in our tanks that is not in its ideal environment, so even the best fishkeeper is engaged in bad behavior. Also I love my fishies.
alright, everyone gets to share unpopular opinions they have. Fish related.

I'll start.

Neon tetras are mean little turds.

I was sitting in a blanket fort with the Badgerling a couple days ago reading books. She handed me "Matilda" by Dahl (which, by the way, is a lovely story--don't ever watch the awful, Americanized movie, though). First chapter, there's a list of books which the librarian gives Matilda to read. I consider myself a reasonably well-read person, but I was surprised that I hadn't read most of the books on that list. The first one was "Great Expectations." Well, if a four-year-old genius can handle it, perhaps a forty-nine year old, reasonably smart guy can too. I will post a book report when I've finished.
I lived next door to Quentin Blake (Dahls illustrator) for a couple of years. Well he owned the house next door, one of a few he owns. Both were nigh on 500 year old.
We only saw him once in all that time. Spends most of his time in South Kensington or the South of France. Awwwwh maaaaan I wish I had money.

Oh my turn! Keeping birds in cages and fish in tanks is inherently "inhumane". 99.9% of us have at least one living creature in our tanks that is not in its ideal environment, so even the best fishkeeper is engaged in bad behavior. Also I love my fishies.
If you truly believe that, then why do you keep fish? Aren’t you essentially admitting that you are being inhuman to your fish?

Interesting point, and something that is important to think about and come to terms with. The ethics of taking a creature from its natural environment and keeping it in captivity can be rather complicated. It is more complicated even than our choices of what we eat, because eating is a requirement of life, and eating always requires the death of other living things. Fish keeping is not a requirement of life; most of us do it for our own entertainment. Whether that is "inhumane" or cruel depends much on why you do it and how you do it, as well as your definition of inhumane. It is something we all can and probably should consider.

I have many unpopular opinions; one is that we should tackle climate change to prevent our wet friends from going extinct in the wild.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back