Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Donā€™t hate me, but Iā€™ve never read Sherlock Holmes! :unsure: :lol:
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't hate you - I envy you!

You have all that excitement yet to explore! and you know he was based on a real individual, don't you? Dr Joseph Bell: Conan Doyle was his clerk at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

The BBC did a series about the Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes (I have to admit, I didn't enjoy t much, but I can't remember why - just couldn't get into it.)

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I don't hate you - I envy you!

You have all that excitement yet to explore! and you know he was based on a real individual, don't you? Dr Joseph Bell: Conan Doyle was his clerk at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary.

The BBC did a series about the Dark Beginnings of Sherlock Holmes (I have to admit, I didn't enjoy t much, but I can't remember why - just couldn't get into it.)
Absolute History has a sherlock Holmes movie that was much more interesting than the bbc one:)

:lol: QUOTE="WhistlingBadger, post: 3943206, member: 89612"]
I've never read Sherlock Holmes, either. Just starting another classic, though: Great Expectations by Dickens. I'm not expecting too much, though..
[/QUOTE]
I see what you did there . . . :lol:

I'm not a Dickens fan - I think he churns out sentimental drivel. I am aware that mine is an unpopular opinion, though, and most people seem to think he is the very epitome of literary transcendence. It's not - it's dross (IM not very-HO).
If you want a good author from that era, I recommend anything by Trollope - especially the Barchester Chronicles -or Elizabeth Gaskell - try the Cranford books. Wilkie Collins is good - as is George Elliot and Thackeray.

I see what you did there . . . :lol:

I'm not a Dickens fan - I think he churns out sentimental drivel. I am aware that mine is an unpopular opinion, though, and most people seem to think he is the very epitome of literary transcendence. It's not - it's dross (IM not very-HO).
If you want a good author from that era, I recommend anything by Trollope - especially the Barchester Chronicles -or Elizabeth Gaskell - try the Cranford books. Wilkie Collins is good - as is George Elliot and Thackeray.
I plan on reading one of his books and seeing what the fuss is about. If I like it I'll read more. I find that a lot of the classics are tedious drivel. But some of them (Melville, Keates, and the transcendental poets spring to mind) really do reward the effort required to figure out what on earth they're getting at.

I plan on reading one of his books and seeing what the fuss is about. If I like it I'll read more. I find that a lot of the classics are tedious drivel. But some of them (Melville, Keates, and the transcendental poets spring to mind) really do reward the effort required to figure out what on earth they're getting at.
Sorry- have to disagree with you re: Melville - totally unreadable. Moby Dick was dreadful. And Billy Budd wasn't much better- how either of them got acclaimed as classics is beyond me.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back