Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

That 200- 2000 gallon reef tank? What you don't realize is the tank is the size of a double bed,but the filtration equipment needed to keep it at peak 24/7? Is the size of a bedroom! The piping might be for a quarter mile and a ton of valves and electronic gear to monitor it all. On the other hand my freshwater Rainbow 240? A homemade oversized inside filter with weekly water changes suffices. 1200 gph Pump from HD.
Why I will never be drawn back to reefing. THAT and salt creep. I hated that.
Well, the idea of a saltwater exotic and colorful algae tank? Like I posted? Might be fun..lol..Never say never I guess.

Last edited:
Some youtube fish channel hosts,seem to think he who dies with the most aquariums and or the biggest fish wins.:banana:
The few fish per gallon makes you wonder- why even set up those extra tanks? OR some guys who build huge aquariums and other than "It's a really big fish" has no theme or purpose. Its adding just to keep the channel going while rehoming fish over and over seems obvious to me.

Some youtube fish channel hosts,seem to think he who dies with the most aquariums and or the biggest fish wins.:banana:
The few fish per gallon makes you wonder- why even set up those extra tanks? OR some guys who build huge aquariums and other than "It's a really big fish" has no theme or purpose. Its adding just to keep the channel going while rehoming fish over and over seems obvious to me.
a lot of channels are aimed towards fish with clickbait and colorful fish and rather inhumane things

Some guy named TFC or TFG..likes to feed animals to his fish. One thumb is of him feeding an Anole lizard. These guys should be banned from youtube..but never are. In fact,YOU get banned if you tell them flat out what you think of that.
Also,I see DIY king guy is now creating his own private public aquaria. I don't know,the guy seems really novice level on fish,almost no idea of ecology or even slightest interest in the science of it all. I think (the unpopular opinion!) he's got "Cult of personality going" it's just plain scary how people emote to him in the comments with how he saved their lives. Like he's the fish Tony Roberts.

One thing DIY guy does better than the rest is he never crowds his tanks. Give him that.
But,you do notice he's not breeding things left and right or vids of rare fish spawning? He also seems to have no interest in going to the tropics to see them in the wild. That's the usual mecca thing to do once you've made it.
I mean Patreon for him all you like..no bother to me.

Some guy named TFC or TFG..likes to feed animals to his fish. One thumb is of him feeding an Anole lizard. These guys should be banned from youtube..but never are. In fact,YOU get banned if you tell them flat out what you think of that.
Also,I see DIY king guy is now creating his own private public aquaria. I don't know,the guy seems really novice level on fish,almost no idea of ecology or even slightest interest in the science of it all. I think (the unpopular opinion!) he's got "Cult of personality going" it's just plain scary how people emote to him in the comments with how he saved their lives. Like he's the fish Tony Roberts.
Youtube when you say “freak”:
BAN
YouTube when you abuse fish and other pets and clickbait and do crime (yes many youtube channles do that):
Understandable, have a nice day

True on the Pleco. Why I pass on the $50-250 rare Pleco's. How often in a community tank set up for Rainbows would I even see it? I do have bristlenose- but those are working fish-lol,they do a great job on rocks and wood cleaning skills. I did see a $250 albino veiltail Pleco of unknown name for sale. Ok,if I had the money to burn I would have splurged. My money is not burnable.
ps- the shop sold that fish later that day.

I did see a $250 albino veiltail Pleco of unknown name for sale.
Was it a type of bristlenose?

I see my pleco ALLLLLL the time. I didn’t think I would, so I bought one of the generic brown Bristlenose ones because they were only $4 and the longfin albino bristlenose were $8, but now I wish I had bought the longfin because the pleco hangs on the wood all day and blends in. I was afraid an albino would blend into my sand! Maybe I should just get a second pleco :rofl:

No,it wasn't a Bristlenose type and probably is going to make a dynamite show Pleco of a foot or more one day. It seemed to be naturally long finned. I hadn't in 50 years ever seen one like that. I did myself have a 12-14" albino tall high finned Pleco many years ago..but I got a great price on it then..like $30 and it was large already.
I did pay a bit extra for the red Bristlenoses I have now in the 240..but nothing close to the various primo L somethings sold nowadays.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back