Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

depends on the fish and the bowl size/ opening

most ppl think goldfish in a bowl and either left until the water is so cloudy you cannot see the fish and then full empty and fill up straight from the tap

using the correct size bowl and fish and keeping on top of cleaning then you can have good results

I've had my tank for 13-15 yrs and still know JS. This forum is the best

been keeping water for 30+ years and still know nowt.

ive never been into breeding like some folk, the only thing i have successfully bred is malawi chiclids and they are only interested in kicking the ..... out of the nearest fish and when not doing that then a bit of romancing goes on :)

I understand tank cycling and hardness of water etc but ask me to explain it and you might as well just empty a battery straight in there

depends on the fish and the bowl size/ opening

most ppl think goldfish in a bowl and either left until the water is so cloudy you cannot see the fish and then full empty and fill up straight from the tap

using the correct size bowl and fish and keeping on top of cleaning then you can have good results
All true. I have a heavily planted 3.5 gallon bowl with 6 boraras uraphthalmodes and an 8 gallon with 13 boraras brigittae and crystal red shrimp. Both are very successful. I’ve even had fry in the 3.5.

Tell me about it, once we got two guinea pigs from there, wound up with two stinky rats that beg for food every two minutes. Wait, no, that is a guinea pig after all...
Agree with that!

In my experience, you can pack a guinea pig against the back of the hutch with 12 stones of fresh veg, and by the time you get the cage door shut it is gone, and all there is is a huge pile of poo and a squeaking cavy demanding more to eat!

been keeping water for 30+ years and still know nowt.

ive never been into breeding like some folk, the only thing i have successfully bred is malawi chiclids and they are only interested in kicking the ..... out of the nearest fish and when not doing that then a bit of romancing goes on :)

I understand tank cycling and hardness of water etc but ask me to explain it and you might as well just empty a battery straight in there
I've only ever see 2 fry in my tank a good few yrs back.... I wasn't even aware I had a pregnant fish.

My one eyed willy

Attachments

• 20210406_193401.jpg
    20210406_193401.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 54
Hmm, odd question maybe: how should I quarantine new kuhli loaches without them burrowing under the substrate?* I'm thinking about getting three more so I have six. Not sure yet, might go higher depending on how quickly I can get my black neons and gourami moved out. Don't wanna make a full thread on this since I don't see it as a pressing issue.

*My quarantine tank has large, pebble-like gravel that would be a pain to sift through to find burrowing kuhlis.

Hmm, odd question maybe: how should I quarantine new kuhli loaches without them burrowing under the substrate?* I'm thinking about getting three more so I have six. Not sure yet, might go higher depending on how quickly I can get my black neons and gourami moved out. Don't wanna make a full thread on this since I don't see it as a pressing issue.

*My quarantine tank has large, pebble-like gravel that would be a pain to sift through to find burrowing kuhlis.
I'd recommend starting a new thread on that. It's a good question.

Unpopular Opinion: It's not a big deal to remove and exchange a filter pad if it's too gunked up to be cleaned (I have angelfish - they are voracious feeders; sometimes the filter pad is too far gone).

After testing and retesting water over the years after finally tossing an old pad (I do prefer sponges, but got a great deal on a Marineland BioWheel) there is no discernable spike in ammonia or nitrites. The amount of bacteria floating around the tank, living in the gravel and on the plants/wood is sufficient and the fish will not be harmed.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back