Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
A majority of the species, actually. If you have a spacious aquarium along with plants and/or hardscapes, then you can house males together. I hear a lot of people prefer to keep two males and one female Betta channoides as well as Betta albimarginata in the same aquarium.
Housing more than 1 male betta together isn't an unpopular opinion IMO. It's housing 2 male betta splendens together that would be an "unpopular opinion" but that's actually just a fact haha

Housing more than 1 male betta together isn't an unpopular opinion IMO. It's housing 2 male betta splendens together that would be an "unpopular opinion" but that's actually just a fact haha
This is a 'newbie' question, but seeing your response & skimming through what others mentioned about homing more than 1 male betta together - is it possible you could have more than 1 male betta in a tank?

I find myself falling in love with betta fish and always want to rescue them all from pet store shelves! But, I know I can't continue having a bunch of random aquariums all over the house. Even with a divider, I thought it'd be cruel to keep them together as they would constantly feel stressed and never feel like they'd have their own territory.

But, if you're telling me otherwise???? :fish:

This is a 'newbie' question, but seeing your response & skimming through what others mentioned about homing more than 1 male betta together - is it possible you could have more than 1 male betta in a tank?

I find myself falling in love with betta fish and always want to rescue them all from pet store shelves! But, I know I can't continue having a bunch of random aquariums all over the house. Even with a divider, I thought it'd be cruel to keep them together as they would constantly feel stressed and never feel like they'd have their own territory.

It's possible, briefly, before one kills the other.

No.

But some people have success with a group of female bettas in a larger tank. And the females are equally cute!

It's possible, briefly, before one kills the other.
No.

But some people have success with a group of female bettas in a larger tank. And the females are equally cute!

Ah, I see. Well, that stinks. I wouldn't want to risk them killing each other.

I've heard my mom talk about 'sororities' - a group of female bettas. I wish they had flippy, pretty tails - the way males do.

Do you all think that female bettas need to be in a group, or would they work well with just the two or three of them?

here's another one from me:

I don't like Java ferns
I don't either! My reason is they start out nice but either they start browning and die, or they are crazy healthy and spore everywhere so they turn out looking like cousin IT put his finger in an electric socket (complete with black burned hair sticking out everywhere!)

Ah, I see. Well, that stinks. I wouldn't want to risk them killing each other.

I've heard my mom talk about 'sororities' - a group of female bettas. I wish they had flippy, pretty tails - the way males do.

Do you all think that female bettas need to be in a group, or would they work well with just the two or three of them?
2 or 3 would be just fine.

It is usually recommended that 4 is the minimum.
1 is OK
2 - one will pick on the other
3 - two will gang up on one
4 - there are enough subordinate females that none gets picked on all the time
5+ - even better than 4.

The tank must be big enough and filled with plants, real or fake, to break up line of sight. The females must all be added at the same time. Expect fighting as they establish a pecking order.
A sorority must be monitored to catch any nasty behaviour before any of the fish are harmed. Some females are very aggressive and cannot live with other females.

Thanks for the response! Have you kept 2 or 3 together before? What was their behavior like?
No, I have not, scratch what I said, and read Essjay's post above....I've only kept singular males, sometimes in communities with other fish

It is usually recommended that 4 is the minimum.
1 is OK
2 - one will pick on the other
3 - two will gang up on one
4 - there are enough subordinate females that none gets picked on all the time
5+ - even better than 4.

The tank must be big enough and filled with plants, real or fake, to break up line of sight. The females must all be added at the same time. Expect fighting as they establish a pecking order.
A sorority must be monitored to catch any nasty behaviour before any of the fish are harmed. Some females are very aggressive and cannot live with other females.
Thank you so much for this information! Very helpful! I'm hoping in the future I can get a big tank just for a female betta sorority/community. :wub:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back