Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Wait. I have a pleco named Alabaster too! Lol
My Plecoā€™s name is Fred Flintstone. He looks like a dinosaur to me. Iā€™m pretty sure they are omnivores, but I suspect they eat carrion. Iā€™m pretty sure that as soon as something in the tank perishes, Fred is all over that **** munching it down!

My Plecoā€™s name is Fred Flintstone. He looks like a dinosaur to me. Iā€™m pretty sure they are omnivores, but I suspect they eat carrion. Iā€™m pretty sure that as soon as something in the tank perishes, Fred is all over that **** munching it down!
I think they hoover up small fish when they get big.

We had a common pleco many years ago which outgrew a 4 foot tank. Fish disappeared around him. I was pleased to see the back of him - we gave him away.

MY NEONS ARE ANGELS XD AHAHA!!!! They are fat pigs though (not actually fat, they just will eateateat)

My swordtail has actually become a welcome member of their school he litterally CUDDLES WITH THEM and no species ever nips at the other idk lol

Like you I was really surprised to learn about the social hierarchy of neons - an "Alpha Neon" was something I hadn't anticipated. We have one in our tank, too, and currently our little shoal has ostracised on fish who spends his days alone and unloved among the carpet plants, bless him.

However, my pity is limited because I am pretty sure that if he could stage a coup and hang, draw and quarter his rival he would do it.
Interesting. I have a tank with almost 50 neons and no heiarchy. They are just one big, peaceful family. I also have 27 cories in the tank and they all get along as one big happy family. I wonder if the size of the tank has anything to do with it.

Last edited:
Just got back from @petsathome, itā€™s next to supermarket so Iā€™m in every other day, and I noticed signs on the rabbit enclosures. ā€œThese enclosures comply with the minimum space standard.....blah blah blah.ā€œ Also they advise how much space a rabbit needs after itā€™s taken home etc etc.
No such signs hanging from aquariums. I think thereā€™s Bettas been in there longer than the queens been on the throne/ since Elvis was still driving trucks Etc.
Totally with you on this one! Thus is probably a POPULAR OPINION...I very much dislike seeing beautiful, little Bettas suffocating in a tiny little dish on a hot summer day with 5 sales people standing around looking at their phones or talking to each other about their stupid hair or another inane topic. Bettas may be able to survive in a mud puddle in Thailand, but that doesnā€™t mean anyone has the right to torture a poor little creature by not only putting him in a tiny, little cup and then selling a tiny, little 1/2 gallon plastic box for someone to keep him in when they get home. No light, no heat, no real vegetation, just some hard plastic neon crap that will scrape his poor tattered little fins. It is inhumane and those pet stores (pet prisons) should be fined and shut down for good! Hate those places when they do that!

Interesting. I have a tank with almost 50 neons and no heiarchy. They are just one big, peaceful family. I also have 27 cories in the tank and they all get along as one big happy family. I wonder if the size of the tank has anything to do with it.
Maybe it's because you have a much larger shoal - perhaps they are just mean when their numbers are small?

Totally with you on this one! Thus is probably a POPULAR OPINION...I very much dislike seeing beautiful, little Bettas suffocating in a tiny little dish on a hot summer day with 5 sales people standing around looking at their phones or talking to each other about their stupid hair or another inane topic. Bettas may be able to survive in a mud puddle in Thailand, but that doesnā€™t mean anyone has the right to torture a poor little creature by not only putting him in a tiny, little cup and then selling a tiny, little 1/2 gallon plastic box for someone to keep him in when they get home. No light, no heat, no real vegetation, just some hard plastic neon crap that will scrape his poor tattered little fins. It is inhumane and those pet stores (pet prisons) should be fined and shut down for good! Hate those places when they do that!
Well said - it's heartbreaking the way so many of these poor fish are treated.

Maybe it's because you have a much larger shoal - perhaps they are just mean when their numbers are small?
Figured the same thing. :). I started thinking that when I had 6 in my 29G they did chase each other. :)

I was in there again this morning. Theyā€™ve got bettas in tanks with gouramis now.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back