Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

That's horrible!

Poor fish!

It's the same with these nasty people who put small rodents up their bottoms - I mean, how does something like that ever even occur to someone to try? o_O
Some guy high on drugs just went: "Ooo I know lets shove this innocent rat up my butt"

I'm afraid that I have a few unpopular opinions but will go with just two of them.....please do not kill me yet cos I'se a sweet and innocent newby (with attitude & tats but not alot of muscles anymore)

Mother Nature provided us with many millions of stunningly beautiful fish, a vast rainbow of colours and personalities.

Why then must we have finned beings that are genetically modified to gain huge tails and fins that shorten the lifespan (Betta, Guppy etc), dayglo colours (GloFish) and heavy morbidly obese bodies (Blood Parrot)?

These fish have gone through such awful interbreeding and other nonsense for the sake of looking different when all they actually manage to do is make money for their breeders and heartache for their owners who find out too late that they are destined to have often short lives, be prone to simple disease and could potentially suffer other issues that we know nothing about.

My other issue is the fish killing CAE, often sold as an SAE who will be adoreable when a juvie but an out and out killer of slow moving slab sided fish, especially at night, by latching onto and removing the slimecoat. CAE should be banned from sale. Seriously the way some fish suppliers sell CAE's as something else seems to be worsening. And when you see the damage they do it is absolutely horrific yet no-one seems able or willing to prevent fishkeepers (especially newbies) from having them in their aquarium with DG's and the like. Losing a fish to a CAE attack is devastating, it causes a tremendous amount of suffering to the victims and the owners rarely realise what has happened until its too late. CAE's need to be banned.

<steps off soapbox......and quietly parks bottom back on chair>

I'm afraid that I have a few unpopular opinions but will go with just two of them.....please do not kill me yet cos I'se a sweet and innocent newby (with attitude & tats but not alot of muscles anymore)

Mother Nature provided us with many millions of stunningly beautiful fish, a vast rainbow of colours and personalities.

Why then must we have finned beings that are genetically modified to gain huge tails and fins that shorten the lifespan (Betta, Guppy etc), dayglo colours (GloFish) and heavy morbidly obese bodies (Blood Parrot)?

These fish have gone through such awful interbreeding and other nonsense for the sake of looking different when all they actually manage to do is make money for their breeders and heartache for their owners who find out too late that they are destined to have often short lives, be prone to simple disease and could potentially suffer other issues that we know nothing about.

My other issue is the fish killing CAE, often sold as an SAE who will be adoreable when a juvie but an out and out killer of slow moving slab sided fish, especially at night, by latching onto and removing the slimecoat. CAE should be banned from sale. Seriously the way some fish suppliers sell CAE's as something else seems to be worsening. And when you see the damage they do it is absolutely horrific yet no-one seems able or willing to prevent fishkeepers (especially newbies) from having them in their aquarium with DG's and the like. Losing a fish to a CAE attack is devastating, it causes a tremendous amount of suffering to the victims and the owners rarely realise what has happened until its too late. CAE's need to be banned.

I have a Blood Parrot. Got him as a tiny 1 inch dude over 3 years ago. He has beaten up many fish and has to stay alone... But I have not had any health issues out of him and he is simply the most friendly and personable fish I have ever had. I also like fancy goldfish, another GMO type of fish prone to health issues. I can DEFINITELY understand the controversy behind these fish, but I love them so I guess me and people like me are the reason they exist.

I have a Blood Parrot. Got him as a tiny 1 inch dude over 3 years ago. He has beaten up many fish and has to stay alone... But I have not had any health issues out of him and he is simply the most friendly and personable fish I have ever had. I also like fancy goldfish, another GMO type of fish prone to health issues. I can DEFINITELY understand the controversy behind these fish, but I love them so I guess me and people like me are the reason they exist.

My own personal opinion and please do not take this badly...I would never handle a fish in that way as there is always a risk of body damage and/or infection and if I had caused one of my fish to get hurt or sick or it died as a result of me handling it, I would never forgive myself.

And you are absolutely right.....if the market was not there, these fish like all of the messed about fish, would not be the moneyspinners that they obviously are for the breeders.

That is okay. We are all entitled to our opinions. I am very gentle with Mary and he ENJOYS the interactions immensely. He gets grumpy and BITES MEANLY if he is ignored for any period of time. My touching him now and then carries no higher risk of body damage or infection than him slamming into his reflection in the tank or grabbing at food and slamming into the filter intakes etc.

You'll see several Blood Parrot owners on YouTube gently interacting with their fish who GENUINELY enjoy it and welcome it. I am not really HANDLING him. He is never GRABBED at all or removed from the water or scraped or anything. Again he does more damage to himself than I ever could.

When/if a fish gets sick, or if Mary were to get sick... There would be no way at all to say WHY or HOW it happened and I would not blame myself at all as I love Mary and have taken good care of him for nearly 4 years now.

I paid $8 for him. And I will say this - Mary seems to be very happy even though he is a weird Blood Parrot. I probably would not get another simply because he is mean and cannot have tankmates, but that can be any type of cichlid. The market for weird fish like Guppies etc will always be there because people are allowed to like whatever fish they want to. Naysayers do not have to buy or support the market.

That is just delightful! 😍

I envy you such a cuddly fish.

That is okay. We are all entitled to our opinions. I am very gentle with Mary and he ENJOYS the interactions immensely. He gets grumpy and BITES MEANLY if he is ignored for any period of time. My touching him now and then carries no higher risk of body damage or infection than him slamming into his reflection in the tank or grabbing at food and slamming into the filter intakes etc.

You'll see several Blood Parrot owners on YouTube gently interacting with their fish who GENUINELY enjoy it and welcome it. I am not really HANDLING him. He is never GRABBED at all or removed from the water or scraped or anything. Again he does more damage to himself than I ever could.

When/if a fish gets sick, or if Mary were to get sick... There would be no way at all to say WHY or HOW it happened and I would not blame myself at all as I love Mary and have taken good care of him for nearly 4 years now.

I paid $8 for him. And I will say this - Mary seems to be very happy even though he is a weird Blood Parrot. I probably would not get another simply because he is mean and cannot have tankmates, but that can be any type of cichlid. The market for weird fish like Guppies etc will always be there because people are allowed to like whatever fish they want to. Naysayers do not have to buy or support the market.
Why is your boy fish called Mary?

I don't know what a CAE is, but it sounds nasty!

Why is your boy fish called Mary?
Lol... When I got him... I didn't know the gender as he was too young. I thought Mary was a cute name for a Blood Parrot... Bloody MARY. And I figured there was a 50/50 chance so I went with it. It took over a year for me to realize he was a male fish. By then he already had the name set and he even comes when called - so I just left it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back