Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I wonder if you can pickle them....

Pickled Pleco

......has a certain ring to it I spose...
You can, but the armour makes it unviable to put them in jars What people in the Amazon want is the eggs, apparently.

I once found pickled 3 spot gouramis in a shop. Personally, I don't eat my fish though.

I do not like Oscars, common plecos, or other large fish in aquariums that are not several hundred gallons in size.

Well, the thing about plecos is that in the southern US (and no doubt other places too) they have become an invasive species, reproducing hugely and disrupting the native ecosystem. In those places, some people are catching and eating them, both as a way to use an existing resource, and in a probably doomed attempt to control their numbers.

No one's seriously talking about eating your aquarium fish, @Kyshiara . :lol:

Well, the thing about plecos is that in the southern US (and no doubt other places too) they have become an invasive species, reproducing hugely and disrupting the native ecosystem. In those places, some people are catching and eating them, both as a way to use an existing resource, and in a probably doomed attempt to control their numbers.

No one's seriously talking about eating your aquarium fish, @Kyshiara . :lol:
She be like: "Grrrr, stay away from my aquariums" 😂

I couldn't eat a piece though... Its just a fish that doesn't seem right to eat. Most all aquarium fish I couldn't eat. They don't seem edible lol

Oscar's aren't for the frying pan?
I have raised Mozambique tilapia. Only legal tilapia for Texas ponds. Fileted a couple. I think an Oscar would make a better dinner.

I couldn't imagine having to dig through those spiney bones, they are a specialty item in Brazil I think. I'd rather dig through some tasty crabs

Oh my goodness, look what I just found!
Introducing the Ewok, Kyshiara!
1666856518274.png

He be like "save meeee"

My unpopular opinion: I actually like the GloFish. I have a tank of the tetra in a 25. They are pretty and I have all of the coll

Yeah but they are so colourful anyway, why do you need to make the neon? It's so unnatural...
Tbh, I chose a glofish specifically because I've seen so much dislike for them. It seems like the only people who get the glo bettas are the ones that stick them in vases with neon substrate, and people who actually want a happy fish ignore them. I wanted to make sure that there was at least one happy glofish betta out there, and my boy does seem pretty happy.

Tbh, I chose a glofish specifically because I've seen so much dislike for them. It seems like the only people who get the glo bettas are the ones that stick them in vases with neon substrate, and people who actually want a happy fish ignore them. I wanted to make sure that there was at least one happy glofish betta out there, and my boy does seem pretty happy.
The reason their disliked is because they are genetically mutated which is kinda a form of abuse.
To help them, as mean as it sounds, is to just not buy them. The less people that purchase the less of a demand meaning they will slow down the "production" of the mutated glofish. Hopefully the more we avoid buying, the less they are made

The reason their disliked is because they are genetically mutated which is kinda a form of abuse.
To help them, as mean as it sounds, is to just not buy them. The less people that purchase the less of a demand meaning they will slow down the "production" of the mutated glofish. Hopefully the more we avoid buying, the less they are made
I realize that they are genetically modified, but at the end of the day they're still fish. I don't think it's that different from dogs like German Shepherds or pugs, who have been bred to the point of horrible health issues like hip dysplasia or being barely able to breathe. The only difference is that the glofish don't seem to be suffering the same quality of life issues as some other animals. Do I love the fact that they're genetically altered? No. But their mutation doesn't seem as harmful as what humans have done to other animals. They didn't ask to be made that way, and they may as well have a chance at a comfortable life.

I realize that they are genetically modified, but at the end of the day they're still fish. I don't think it's that different from dogs like German Shepherds or pugs, who have been bred to the point of horrible health issues like hip dysplasia or being barely able to breathe. The only difference is that the glofish don't seem to be suffering the same quality of life issues as some other animals. Do I love the fact that they're genetically altered? No. But their mutation doesn't seem as harmful as what humans have done to other animals. They didn't ask to be made that way, and they may as well have a chance at a comfortable life.
Yes rather is true. But alot of those dogs in SHELTERS are dogs that had parents who were on the streets or they were both in a home and the two dogs decided to have a litter of pups.
I don't agree with buying from breeders. Maybe REPUTABLE ones but I support adopting from a shelter more

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back