Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
I was thinking of habitat tanks, where all the fish come from one region or river system in West Africa, or South America, etc.

Wyoming tanks never crossed my mind. Where you live is too exotic!

I was thinking of habitat tanks, where all the fish come from one region or river system in West Africa, or South America, etc.

Wyoming tanks never crossed my mind. Where you live is too exotic!
OK, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you were saying that people should setup tanks to match where they lived.

I think most here will agree with you that a tank population should come from the same region. I mean you don't mix South American cichlids with Africans. Water conditions are just not compatible.

Most people say that duckweed is the worst and that you can never get rid of it, but no matter how hard I try, I'm never able to keep it alive for more than two weeks!!!!

Most people say that duckweed is the worst and that you can never get rid of it, but no matter how hard I try, I'm never able to keep it alive for more than two weeks!!!!
Don't worry... I can't either lol.
BUUUUUT I think I know why mine were not staying alive... Too much flow on the top of the tank. So I will try again sometime

I have duckweed...and a fastish flow in my 53 gallon.

The duckweed does not last long but not for the usual reason

If the duckweed dares to venture into the flow of either filter, (which is a big misjudgement on the part of the duckweed), the filters will fling the (either very brave or very stupid) duckweed into a stream of high speed somersaults that a gymnast would be proud of

Unfortunately during this gymnastic display by the duckweed, it sometimes slaps a fish or two around the face (something like slapping a human face with wet lettuce)

The fish being slapped by the soggy and dazed duckweed are generally none too impressed by that behaviour, so they chase the duckweed down.....

.........and eat it.

Same here. It gets sucked into the filter and chewed up.

OK, I misunderstood what you were saying. I thought that you were saying that people should setup tanks to match where they lived.

I think most here will agree with you that a tank population should come from the same region. I mean you don't mix South American cichlids with Africans. Water conditions are just not compatible.
If it's any consolation I thought the same as you.

My local fish are a bit easier to deal with and I have had a tank of 3-spine sticklebacks before . . . but not since I was 10.

Last edited:
Don't talk to me about duckweed...I cannot get rid of it and i want amazon frogbit instead.

I saw an advert online of someone who was keeping two goldfish in a bare 9l tank. The likelihood I could have got my parents to drive over there (two and a half hour drive) is VERY unlikely though.

Don't talk to me about duckweed...I cannot get rid of it and i want amazon frogbit instead.

I saw an advert online of someone who was keeping two goldfish in a bare 9l tank. The likelihood I could have got my parents to drive over there (two and a half hour drive) is VERY unlikely though.
Is this recent? Is it in the North East?

If so, can you DM me details - I'll take the poor little buggers!

I got rid of it from two tanks a few months ago, it took a whole afternoon for each tank though.

Remove all floating plants to a bucket of old tank water, then net out every single duckweed plant. The ones stuck in the corner/round the heater and filter cables can be removed one by one with tweezers. Check every nook and cranny as just one plant missed will cause another invasion.
Swoosh gently the floating plants in the bucket and move them one by one to a bucket of warm dechlorinated water - I had to do this with frogbit and red root floater - the RRF took ages. Swoosh them in there and move them to another bucket of warm dechlorinated water. Swoosh again and return them to the tank. Check every day for duckweed that escaped and remove every plant you find with tweezers.
It's a lot of work but it can be done. I've been duckweed free from a couple of weeks after I did this - I did keep finding the odd plant or two for a couple of weeks, but no more since.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back