Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Platies are a lot like rabbits. Multiply, multiply, multiply!
I heard that so often but I have 5 platys, 3 females and 2 males because one of my females jumped out of the tank and I've had them give birth to fry but none of them have looked like they're more than 2 weeks old when they're actually about a month old.

Why do filter (and other equipment with moving parts) manufacturers use teeny tiny fiddly parts that can drop off and vanish without a trace?

Just spent the best part of 45 minutes on hands and knees hunting a tiny 0.5 inch square piece of black plastic that is the flow gate from one of my filters.

I am 100% sure that it was on the filter when it left the aquarium.
I am 100% sure that it was on the filter when I carried it to the kitchen for servicing.
I am 100% sure that it was on the filter during servicing.

I am 100% sure that the blighter jumped off and is hiding somewhere tween kitchen and aquarium cos its gone missing and I cannot find it anywhere.

I put the filter back into the aquarium, it is working but is missing the flow gate on the outlet, so its doing a floppy fountain upwards instead of out through the venturi. I have oodles of various spare parts...but not a spare flow gate

:mad:

Why do filter (and other equipment with moving parts) manufacturers use teeny tiny fiddly parts that can drop off and vanish without a trace?
LOL, so you make posts like this one :)

Don't you love dropping the little rubber grommets or plastic washers on the ends of the impellor shaft?

I tell people to use a flour sieve when cleaner the impellor and parts. That way if they drop it, the part lands in the sieve.

LOL, so you make posts like this one :)

Don't you love dropping the little rubber grommets or plastic washers on the ends of the impellor shaft?

I tell people to use a flour sieve when cleaner the impellor and parts. That way if they drop it, the part lands in the sieve.
My impeller shaft itsy bitsies behave impecably.....the flow gate...not so much :D

George and MD and all the rest on youtube seem to ALWAYS get the XXXL 2" pots of aquatic plants. Not fair. I order and get strands of plants.
Like I'm not as important as youtubers? Huh,huh? :vote: 😉

George and MD and all the rest on youtube seem to ALWAYS get the XXXL 2" pots of aquatic plants. Not fair. I order and get strands of plants.
Like I'm not as important as youtubers? Huh,huh? :vote: 😉
Just part of how it is. If the YouTube channel is popular it will be given the best samples possible as it is free advertisement for the supplier.

had 10 and they constantly fought with one another, nipped each others fins, and even bit one of the face off one of them. Nothing but conflicts with them and they've started going after my other fish in the tank too, so I ended up rehoming all 10 lol

Theyre meaner than my skirt tetras and cherry barbs combined haha
Oh snap!

Ohio Fish Rescue put two 8" albino TinFoil barbs in the 2,000 gallon with a 24" RTC. I posted here ( those fish won't last long) and sure enough on the very next vid,those fish are no longer in the 2,000. I did spot ONE albino in a 1,000 gallon.
RTC in with something soft finned like those barbs? No chance for one a night...

alright, everyone gets to share unpopular opinions they have. Fish related.

I'll start.

Neon tetras are mean little turds.
Even though I've learned most about fish keeping from my friend who had a 100 gal reef tank & applied it to freshwater, I've never really tested my water. I know what's yucky & find better sources. In Oregon, it was my Mom's house that has AMAZING well water. In California, it's the bottled water refill station. I'm content to be "the bucket lady", as I learned from the reef tank that had a black slime algae problem until water changes switched to well water. My friend was the original bucket brigade but it was worth it, as the algae problem quickly resolved using well vs city water. Nevertheless, I will invest in a test kit so I don't get put on blast on here!
P.S. I had happy rams before & despite weekly hauling three 5 gal buckets, it was a labor of 🐟💙

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back