Unplugged in the night

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Astronomiii

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello,

I had a 55 gallon tank at school that was already fully cycled, fish ready, everything. However I came to school this morning and noticed that the night custodian had unplugged the entire extension cord that was plugged in to the canister filter, hangover filter, airpump and heater. Beacuse everything was off last night, do I need to restart the 5 week nitrogen cycle? Just know school is ending soon and the teachers + students have been begging for fish and this would be a total party pooped on if we have to wait 5 weeks again

Hello,

I had a 55 gallon tank at school that was already fully cycled, fish ready, everything. However I came to school this morning and noticed that the night custodian had unplugged the entire extension cord that was plugged in to the canister filter, hangover filter, airpump and heater. Beacuse everything was off last night, do I need to restart the 5 week nitrogen cycle? Just know school is ending soon and the teachers + students have been begging for fish and this would be a total party pooped on if we have to wait 5 weeks again
Thats insane! Why would they do that! I would just continue the cycle where you left off and see how it does. If the stuff was only off for the night, it shouldnt do too much harm but its still messed up the custodian did that

Hello,

We had this, the cleaner unplugged an incubator of chicks eggs 😢

But your cycle shouldn't be effected much.

If you are worried, and you did a fishless cycle, just add another 3 ppm dose of ammonia. If it cleared to zero ammonia and zero nitrite in 24 hours the tank is still cycled.

Hi everyone,

Thank you for the help so far. I retested the water just now and I want to know if this is a bad sign

Ammonia : 0.25 - .5 ppm
Nitrite : 0
Nitrate: 0

I am worried because nitrate and nitrite are at 0 now, and ammonia is coming up, is this because last night without oxygen killed everything?

It should be fine. Just monitor the ammonia and nitrite over the next few weeks and if there is none, you're good to go. ;)
I tested it again, there was about 0.1-0.2 ppm of ammonia, however no nitrite

Something along these lines would defeat even the most determined school janitorial or security staff

They are very easy to fit, no need for an electrician...a teacher or parent could do it easily.

Or this...

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back