Unknown Tadpole

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RedStarFishy

Reaction score
My boyfriend went to go get feeders from a store today that we normally don't buy feeders from. To our surprise, as we poured out the fish, there came a tadpole along with the bunch! He is now in his own tank, and i'm not sure what to do with him. I know the pet store won't take him back, they have only a 24 hr period of return, and there is no way i can get back tommarrow. plus, i kinda want to keep the guy. is there any way to determine what type of frog he will be? anything in pecticular i should feed him? he barely has feet, if that helps. well, any advice what to do is great. thanks! Jess

Like you, I found 3 small black tadpoles when I opened a bag of ghost shrimp I had just brought home. I have no idea, nor does the store (they didn't even know they had tadpoles) what type of frog these guys would mature into. They were only about 1/2" black babies when I got them and I fed them boiled greens, fish flakes, defrosted bloodworms, algae--just to see what they'd eat, and they ate it all. And grew fast. After a few months (got them in August), one of them started growing legs and just as his tail was beginning to shrink, he died, just was swimming around one moment and was keeled over dead the next. One of the keepers at the public aquarium museum said tadpoles often die during their morphing into frogs (which makes sense, having to grow legs and lungs and all that). So now I only have 1 left and he's now about 3" long including tail, has his back legs and eats only meaty foods (defrosted blood worms, glassworms, brine shrimp). I've tried live food on him but he hasn't attempted to eat any of them yet. I clean his tank at least twice a week; it has anacharis and a few waterlogged oak leaves, sticks, mulm and daphnia dancing around, and is aerated (but not filtered). At this point, I have been keeping only about 3" of water in the tank. I'm not sure what the final frog's needs will be but I am NOT going to raise or feed flies for him--hopefully he'll eat worms which we already have a supply of. And I don't even know if he'll be a totally aquatic frog or a terrestrial frog or what. I just think he's cute (they have such cute little mouths). And I won't release him in the wild since I can't determine if he is native to my area or not so he'll have to find contentment being a kept frog (hopefully, he won't get too big or need some huge specialized habitat).

Okay, HEEEEERE'S THE EXPERT!!!!!

I have successfully raised two green frogs from tadpoles that I found in a feeder fish tank, and am raising another one--probably a bullfrog tadpole (if you post a picture, I can identify your tadpole for you! Bear in mind that different kinds of frogs often have slightly different requirements, so it's good to know what you've got ahead of time!).

I kept them in a tank with the water at least 3 or 4 inches deep with gravel substrate piled up at one end so that they could get out of the water if need be. The water was aerated and filtered, and I did weekly water changes along with my fish aquariums--tadpoles tend to be very dirty. They grew fast on a diet of algae tablets, and soon began to spend more and more time above water. When they were fully morphed, I replaced the gravel with river pebbles because frogs, not being the most intelligent creatures, are apt to swallow gravel along with their prey which can cause gut impaction and death. I fed them crickets--starting with little ones, switching to bigger ones as they grew. Unfortunately, they will no longer accept anything BUT crickets...

One frog died due to chlorine poisoning while being kept at a school a while back :-( (I loved that froggy!) but the other one is still alive and healthy. He is fed one or two large crickets every night. The crickets are fed with "gut load"--calcium and vitamin fortified cricket food that will practically make the cricket a walking multi-vitamin. It is also very important that the frog gets enough calcium to keep his bones strong.

The tadpole I am currently raising is, I suspect, a bullfrog tadpole--which means that once he is full grown, I will not be able to keep him with my Green frog or else the green frog will get eaten.

This tadpole I am keeping in my fish aquarium which has warmer water than the green frog tank in which he was previously kept. Because he is a bullfrog, he's growing a bit slower than the green frogs did, but the warmer water should encourage him to grow faster. Presently, he is four-inch monstrosity with tiny hind legs and arm buds, but, despite his appearance, he is actually a shy, docile algae-eater. I drop an algae tablet in his favorite hiding spot every night, and the catfish clean up whatever he doesn't eat. When he has morphed a bit further--gets arms as well as legs, tail shortens, and a mouth begins to grow, I will put him in his own tank where he will have better access to land and will not be in danger of getting eaten by the green frog while he's still just a froglet.

*NOTE: In feeding algae tablets, I recommend that you use Hikari brand tablets. On the ingredient statement, you will notice that spirulina algae is not the first ingredient--this is because Hikari uses more than just algae in order to make a more balanced formula. So using Hikari will probably be healthier for your tadpole.

**NOTE: Once your tadpole has fully morphed, you cannot return it to the wild because #1, it will be too domesticated and dependent from living in a glass box and being fed and #2, it's illegal--frogs in captivity may pick up and carry diseases that may be detrimental to the wild populations.

***NOTE: One thing I've noticed with my tadpoles is that they often have a tendency to appear dead. I mean, really, dead. You will not believe how many times I've prodded my tadpoles because I thought they had died... and then, to make matters worse, they don't always move at first even when you prod them. So you prod them again, and they nearly give you a heart attack by suddenly thrashing around and zipping away at the speed of light.

So just to warn you: if it looks dead, don't worry, it probably isn't

Please PM if you have any frog/tadpole questions--if I do not know the answer, then I will find it for you.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back