Unknown fish in my Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Calistmo

Reaction score
Little guy appeared in my new tank a few days after I added plants to it. No other fish in it just plants. Tank is brand new about a week old. Any idea what it could be?

He's only maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch total length.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-210519.png
    Screenshot_20210128-210519.png
    813.4 KB · Views: 65
  • Screenshot_20210128-210326.png
    Screenshot_20210128-210326.png
    879.4 KB · Views: 59
Little guy appeared in my new tank a few days after I added plants to it. No other fish in it just plants. Tank is brand new about a week old. Any idea what it could be?

He's only maybe 1/4 to 3/8 inch total length.
love it as any other fish and he(?) will grow up to be a beautiful something. what things were in the tank when you got plants?

love it as any other fish and he(?) will grow up to be a beautiful something. what things were in the tank when you got plants?
There was nothing except some deco stones and the substrate that came with the tank. I think he came in with one of the plants as an egg and hatched. Local aquarium store is stumped.

I hope he makes it! Growing fond of the little guy.

No idea but it's a real baby and starving. It needs food now. Either powdered fry food or boiled egg yolk.

EMERGENCY FRY FOOD
Some fry like labyrinth fry (Bettas & Gouramis) and Iriatherina werneri are very small when they first hatch and need green water or infusoria. If you can't get these you can hard boil an egg. Remove the shell and white part. Push the yellow yolk through a handkerchief into a small container of dechlorinated water. Put the lid on the container and shake it up, then use an eye dropper to suck some of the egg yolk solution out and put it in the tank with the babies. Do this 3-5 times per day for the first 2 weeks then start adding newly hatched brineshrimp.

Boil another egg each day and make a new solution each day. Keep the solution in the fridge when not using it. Take the solution out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature for 10 minutes or so before using it in the fry tank.

Do regular partial water changes on the fry tank or have a small air operated sponge filter in it to keep the water clean. The egg yolk can cause ammonia levels to go up and without water changes or a filter the fry will die from polluted water.

No idea but it's a real baby and starving. It needs food now. Either powdered fry food or boiled egg yolk.

EMERGENCY FRY FOOD
Some fry like labyrinth fry (Bettas & Gouramis) and Iriatherina werneri are very small when they first hatch and need green water or infusoria. If you can't get these you can hard boil an egg. Remove the shell and white part. Push the yellow yolk through a handkerchief into a small container of dechlorinated water. Put the lid on the container and shake it up, then use an eye dropper to suck some of the egg yolk solution out and put it in the tank with the babies. Do this 3-5 times per day for the first 2 weeks then start adding newly hatched brineshrimp.

Boil another egg each day and make a new solution each day. Keep the solution in the fridge when not using it. Take the solution out of the fridge and let it warm up to room temperature for 10 minutes or so before using it in the fry tank.

Do regular partial water changes on the fry tank or have a small air operated sponge filter in it to keep the water clean. The egg yolk can cause ammonia levels to go up and without water changes or a filter the fry will die from polluted water.
I bought some fry food at the pet store and he seems to eat it right up. Funny watching him stalk up to a small speck and dart at it.

Which one did you buy
I went to the per store I bought the plants from and there were no fish in the tanks that I picked the plants from.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210128-231119.png
    Screenshot_20210128-231119.png
    791.5 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Just offer a tiny bit of food but do it regularly throughout the day.

I would still like you to feed egg yolk check out my thread " First food ". If you get it to go into the tank like milk the little guy has to eat it!!

haha how cool is that! Mystery fish. Keen to see what it turns out to be so keep us updated!

I reckon it's a predatory fish, big head that belongs to something nasty. In 3 months time it will be 6 inches long and eaten everything in the tank :)

I bought some fry food at the pet store and he seems to eat it right up. Funny watching him stalk up to a small speck and dart at it.
now that i think he looks like a mini sparkling gourami

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back