unknown algae bloom

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

casseedy

Reaction score
I have a 29 gallon freshwater tank that will never clear. iā€™ve done water change after water change, tried algae remover and water clarifier, tried a uv sterilizer light, nothing has worked. i checked my water levels and everything seems to be fine, so i have no idea whatā€™s causing this algae bloom. the tank is not overstocked, and i never overfeed them. the tank has plants and a great filter. i also make sure to turn off the lights and never have them on for more than 8 hours. no matter what i do it always looks murky and green!! any ideas???

Pictures of the tank and algae so we can identify it?
image.jpg

no algae on the glass, just seems to be in the water, if algae is the problem.

How long has the tank been set up? How is it stocked? Was it cycled before adding fish?

itā€™s been set up for at least 6 months, was cycled before fish were added. currently stocked with a small school of tetras, 4 cories, 2 black skirt tetras, a small angelfish (temporary until new tank is set up), and a fairly large algae eater (could the bio load be too much/ should i get a larger filter?

What kind of testing kit do you use?

What are the current readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

as of right now, i just use the API test strips, and i've had no problem with them. nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate is 20 ppm. not sure of the ammonia right now, going to grab some tests later.

It's caused by too much light and not enough plants. Add some floating plants like Water Sprite and they will clear it up in a few weeks.

as of right now, i just use the API test strips, and i've had no problem with them. nitrite is 0 ppm and nitrate is 20 ppm. not sure of the ammonia right now, going to grab some tests later.
The ammonia test is the most important test of all.

I advise investing in the API Freshwater Master test kit.

The ammonia test is the most important test of all.

I advise investing in the API Freshwater Master test kit.
I went and bought the API freshwater master test kit. here are my new readings, PH =7, ammonia = 0-0.15 nitrIte= 0 nitrAte=0. i also bought more plants. should i reduce the lighting even more? i'm running out of ideas.

could this murky water be caused from a lack of nitrates?
I went and bought the API freshwater master test kit. here are my new readings, PH =7, ammonia = 0-0.15 nitrIte= 0 nitrAte=0. i also bought more plants. should i reduce the lighting even more? i'm running out of ideas.
thought the nitrAte levels seemed off, so i tested again. they now read 20 ppm ( shook for longer this time )

It is purely caused by too much light and not enough live plants to use that light.

See how it goes over the next 2 weeks with the new plants. If they don't help, then see if you can reduce the intensity of the light. If you can't do that, then reduce the lighting time by an hour and see how it goes over a couple of weeks. And maybe add more plants or let the current ones grow.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back