United States Fish Store Directory

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Status
Not open for further replies.
UTAH
State: Utah
City: S.L.C. Area (includes entire Salt Lake Valley)
Store: The Aquarium

Variety/Selection=9
Cleanliness/Quality=10

Staff friendliness knowledge: hard to get any assistance here because it is always so busy. They certainly know what they are doing as the large display tanks are public aquarium quality.
Rated by: SLC Flyfishing 04/25/06
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Store: Bird World & Pets

Variety/Selection=10
Cleanliness=4
Quality=Salt Water(8.5) Fresh/Brackish(7)

Staff friendliness & Knowledge: they aren't too friendly here, also because they are constantly full of people. They do pretty well with their fish however, and even though the name suggests otherwise, they have about 50% of the store devoted to aquaria. with the other 50% for all other types of pets.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Store: Fish 4 U

Variety/Selection=7
Cleanliness=4
Quality=9

Staff friendliness & Knowledge: staff is very knowledgeable and also quite polite. Recommend this store to anyone who doesn't mind the cramped quarters and fishy smell that accompanies it.

VIRGINIA
State: Virginia
City: Annandale
Store: SuperPets Annandale (236 & John Marr Dr. Sign says SuperPetz)
Variety/ Selection: 9
Cleanliness and quality: 8
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 2-8
Smiley Rating:

Gigantic store, an old supermarket, with half given over to aisles of tanks. Huge selection of fish, tanks, decor, chemicals, equipment, the whole shebang. Saltwater selection is much smaller. Cleanliness is generally good, but they do get some algae problems from time to time. Excellent plant selection (if sometimes not in great shape). Staff is either friendly OR knowledgeable, rarely both, and it varies a lot. Prices are neither more nor less than what the market will bear, with occasional bargains.
Rated by: tophat665 02/14/07
City: Centreville
Store: Centreville Aquarium - Rte 29, North of 28
Variety/ Selection: 7+
Cleanliness and quality: 8+
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8-9
Smiley Rating:

I really like this store. The prices are reasonable for stock (sometimes excellent), not outrageous for equipment. Good selection of live and frozen foods. Number of tanks on par with a Petco, but the stock is turned over relatively quickly, and is often interesting. Some of the more interesting ones: Panda & Pygmy Cories, true SAEs, Sparkling Gouramis, Marine Bettas, Halfmoon and Delta Bettas (in cups, mores the pity). Fair plant selection - frequently changing. MTS $1 for 10. The Manager and Owner is a really good guy. The only points against: 2 day guarantee on fish only and I have gotten neons with NTD there. They have a second storefront just for tanks, stands, and driftwood.
City: Chantilly
Store: PetSmart - Sulley Plaza (Metrotech Drive)
Variety/ Selection: 6
Cleanliness and quality: 6+
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 5 - 8
Smiley rating: -

Brand new store. Manager is super nice (Got to shop before they officially opened) - some of the staff is nice & know what they're about - some not so much. 2 week guarantee. Same problems as any other Petsmart is selection, but they do keep some interesting critters (Leopard Ctenos, Dwarf Puffers, Violet Gobies, Botia Kubotai). Minimal number of deaders for a chain store. Excellent solution to housing bettas - long tanks, 6x6" cross section, with slotted dividers, hooked into the general filtration system.
City: Charlottesville
Store: Pet Forum - Seminole Tail shopping center

Variety/ Selection: 7 / 8
Cleanliness and quality: 7 / 8 unless you buy a plant... every plant I've bought from them had at least one baby snail come off in my tank. 6
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 9 - Probably one of the most knowledgeable stores in C-ville
Smiley rating:
Rated by: Sanadi 05/29/06
City: Charlottesville
Store: Petsmart

Variety/ Selection: 4 / 5
Cleanliness and quality: 6 / 6 Cleanliness is okay, several times there has been dead fish in the tank with the live ones. Quality is good.
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 7 - alot depends on who's working that day.
Smiley rating:
Rated by: Sanadi 05/29/06
City: Fairfax
Store: PetCo - Greenbriar (Rte 50 Just west of Fairfax Co Pkwy)
Variety/ Selection: 5
Cleanliness and quality: 5-
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 6-8
Smiley rating:

As a PetCo, they have their issues with limited and substandard stock, bettas in cups, and non-aquatic aquarium plants. That said, those of the staff that know their fish really do know their fish (and those who don't pretend to.) Prices are OK. I've seen some ich in their tanks, but they jump on it when it's there. All in all, and above average Petco - one I don't mind shopping at, and super convenient to me.
City: Fairfax
Store: PetLand Fairfax (236 & Pickett, near Trader Joes)
Cleanliness and quality: 6
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8
Smiley Rating:

I wouldn't shop here as a matter of principle if I had principles. They carry injection dyed fish, and sell dogs. That said, they have an astounding selection for the small number of tanks they have (arowana, motoro, whiptail plecos), and the best driftwood prices this side of the beach. Also a heck of a plant selection, given the number of tanks. Because of the small number of tanks, though, there is a lot of crowding, and inappropriate cohabitation (puffers w/ long finned tetras). I wouldn't be tempted to Quarantine less than a month. My estimate of the guy who runs the fish section is that he really knows his stuff, and does his best with the space he has and the dictata of a small chain pushing to be large.
City/Town: Midlothian
Store: Pet Club

Variety/selection:10
Cleanliness & Quality:9
Staff Friendliness:9 (for guy who works fish section)
Staff Knowledge:9

Great pet store, for fish. Great selection and cleanliness. I will go to this store for everything I need fish wise. The only two problems I have with this place is that they never have the crustaceans. But I think that may be because of a law that was passed in the state of Virginia that says you can't get shipments of crustaceans without the proper permit and I think they are working on it. So overall a great store for fish and the last time I went in there they had two of those O. Gouramis that grow to be huge.
Rated by: Loko17 05/30/06
City/Town: Midlothian

Variety/Selection: 9
Cleanliness & Quality: 3
Staff Friendliness: 5
Staff Knowledge: 2

Definitely Do not go here to buy fish for an existing aquarium. Every single one of the fish I've brought home from this place has killed all the fish in my tank and in one case even the fish that I got died. The same has happened to friends. Not anything wrong with the aquarium because I got fish from other places and they live and do not kill the fish existing in aquarium. It is good for equipment though. The only good fish that u don't have to worry about killing your fish (from disease anyways) is a betta. But everyone knows you shouldn't keep them with other fish.
Rated by: Loko17 05/30/06
City: Vienna
Store: Vienna Aquarium (Mill St.)
Variety/ Selection: 7+
Cleanliness and quality: 9
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley Rating:

To the plus - this store has some of the healthiest, best looking fish out there. Good selection of tropical freshwater, equally large selection of saltwater and coolwater/pond fish. OK plant & equipment selection. To the minus - you pay for it. Everything costs more here. Staff is knowledgeable but not particularly friendly (not unfriendly either, though.)
City: Virginia Beach
Store: Animal Jungle

Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 6 (reduced points for unfriendliness/long wait time)
Smiley rating:

Comments: This is usually my LFS of choice because they have good quality fish, variety, and reasonable prices. However, their customer service usually leaves lots to be desired.
Rated by: aquaticadmirer 02/17/07

Name: Animal Jungle

Cleanliness: 2
Varity: 10
Staff Knowledge: 3 - run by hicks
Comments: The place has the best selection of whatever you could desire but one has to question if the fish were obtained legally. The tanks seem set up so the fish will last just long enough to be sold but not to live beyond that. Dead fish are everywhere and the staff, half of which is knowledgeable, is either running about attending to the hundreds of tanks or selling plecos to children with five gallon tanks.
Rated by: mollylver 03/06/07
Store: Fish Safari

Variety/ Selection: 8
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 9
Smiley rating:

Comments: This LFS is privately owned by a Marine Biologist, and the staff is very knowledgeable (as long as you know who to ask). I would shop here more if it weren't for their inflated prices (I'm a college student on a budget!).

Name: Fish Safari

Cleanliness: 6
Varity: 6
Staff Knowledge: 9
Comments: The staff is very helpful and the store uses proper testing equipment for water unlike Petsmart which uses the unreliable 5 in 1 test strips.
Rated by: mollylver 03/06/07
Store: PetSmart

Variety/ Selection: 7
Cleanliness and quality: 7
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 8 (friendly, but not too knowledgeable)
Smiley rating:

Comments: These are pretty much what's expected for a Petsmart, but their prices are reasonable and they sometimes have fish in stock that I can't find other places.

WASHINGTON
State: Washington
City: factoria
Store: pets and sierra

Variety/ Selection: 10 (all freshwater)
Cleanliness and quality: 5-6
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 6
Rated by: Alex_ 05/27/06
City: Issaquha
Store: Blue sierra exotics

Cleanliness and quality: 7
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 7
website
Rated by: Alex_ 05/27/06
City: Woodinville

Variety/selection: 8
Cleanliness and Quality: 6.5
Staff Friendliness: 8
Staff Knowledge: 5

Smiley Rating:
Rated by: Swandazi 04/15/06

WISCONSIN
State: Wisconsin
City: Hartford
Store: Lincoln Tropical Pets

Variety/ Selection: 3
Cleanliness and Quality: 4
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: (I have to separate these ) Friendliness: 10 and Knowledge: 3
Smiley Rating: /
Rated by: blitztidus 03/27/06
City: Kenosha
Store: Jim's Aquarium

Variety/ Selection: 8
Cleanliness and quality: 8
Smiley rating:
Rated by: abzorbd 02/18/08
City: Kenosha
Store: Petco

Variety/ Selection:4
Cleanliness and quality: 5
Staff friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley rating:
Don't go here. It's a freaking joke.
City: Menomenee Falls
Store: Petco

Variety/ Selection: 7
Cleanliness and Quality: 8
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 7
Smiley Rating:
City: Milwaukee
Store: Aquatics Unlimited
Website: [URL="http://www.bestfish.com"]http://www.bestfish.com[/URL] (make sure to check out the virtual tour, it is a huge store, but not as big as the next )

Variety/ Selection: 10
Cleanliness and Quality: 9
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 8
Smiley Rating:

This store is 100% fish, unlike the one in Oconomowoc. Also has a huge, enjoyable, 2, 960 Gallon Tanks!!!

STATE: Wisconsin
CITY: Milwaukee/West Allis
STORE: Aquatics Unlimited

VARIETY/SELECTION: 8*
CLEANLINESS/QUALITY: 9
STAFF FRIENDLINESS AND KNOWLEDGE: 10

SMILEY RATING: awesome!

*In this area, which I am talking about the entire Metro-Milwaukee area (3 counties), this place has the best selection around and can order anything you want, however they will not order anything illegal or non-compatible for your set-up

This store is great because it is owned and run by a man who has been in the hobby for over 25 years. I have gone in there with my most troubling questions and he has been able to not only answer them, but his suggestions always fix my problems. The staff is very well educated and customers can actually attend the training sessions with the employees for FREE! This is the one and only store I have ever seen that does not have a 'betta wall' with the fish trapped in little cups (They have a TON of 5 gallon tanks with bettas for sale). This is also the only store I have ever heard of actually denying a sale to an inexperienced customer or a customer who is trying to do something silly. The place is super clean and doesn't even smell like fish. They also have two huge tanks, both over 1000 gallons to showcase large rare fish and also to show off how big some of the typical aquarium fish can get to be. They have a bala shark in one of these tanks that has to be over a foot and a half long!
Rated by: Tommy Gunnz 09/02/06
City: Milwaukee
Store: Hoffer's Tropic Life Pets

Cleanliness and Quality: 10
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 10
Smiley Rating:

This store is HUGE, but it is not just for fish. Half of their 32620 square foot store is dedicated to fish. It is amazing, they have 2 pits (not bad, actually really cool), one for alligators and another for some other reptiles. They also have other animal sections which the overall environment is really cool. The fish area is the best though. This is also Wisconsin's Largest Pet Center. In the fish center alone is GIGANTIC. IT is about 3 times larger than the Aquatics Unlimited with the virtual tour. I can't wait till the next time to go there .
City: Oconomowoc
Store: Aquatics Unlimited

Variety/ Selection: 3
Cleanliness and Quality: 4
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 4
Smiley Rating:
City: Racine
Store: Havahart

Variety/ Selection: winter 7 / summer 9
Smiley rating:
City: Slinger
Store: Friends of Nature

Cleanliness and Quality: 6
Staff Friendliness and Knowledge: 5
Smiley Rating:

PLEASE DO NOT POST IN THIS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back