Unique Characteristics Of These 2

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SJ2K

Always Want More Fish?!
Reaction score
Ok, ive either got a young bristlenose plec or a young sail fin, I would post photos but the quality would be so bad its just not worth it. Can we get a list with/or pictures to help dicide on some characteristics unique to either species?

Many Thanks

Sam

hi i have 5 bristle nose cats my self they all have there own characteristics they live happily with my other fish and make the aquaria look more lively they are only 1mnt old tho they also have little white tips on their tails i think they are better than the loricarids i have been told they can be quite territorialjust my opinion lol

the bristles male has quite a wide head (bristled nose large dorsal fin slim bodied and medium tail with white tips with white spots on the body)
loricarids have a smaller head but larger body and small dorsal fin and a bow shape tail the fins are roughly the same on both species

hope this helps

Ok can I have some visual characteristics? Somthing to help identify with (Head shape, fin sizes in comparison etc).

Ok can I have some visual characteristics? Somthing to help identify with (Head shape, fin sizes in comparison etc).

here is a young BN ;)

mum1.jpg

and a juvenile

bristlefry.jpg

Sail fins are a lot more angular and have a pattern like a giraffe ;)

Not worth me even posting this because you cant even see the fish, I really need to buy a camera as my phones clearly crap.

DSC00234.jpg

Spot the brown smudge!

Final nail in the sailfin coffin? Real shame, so nice to look at and a real character.

DSC00236.jpg

DSC00238.jpg

still cant tell - it could be an L001 "gold Spot Plec"

You'd be better off having a look at the cat-e-log on Planet catfish and comparing your fish with the images :)

Id be there all day, whatever it is its not a bristlenose so it'll have to go back :(

Dont know if I can be botherd with the damn things anymore, brought a bulldog a while back that died of shock and now my 2nd chance is yet another failure.

Im pritty sure I could spot a real Bn from a mile off now :p the amount of pictures ive scanned every detail of in desperation is unreal! Lol

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back