Unidentified Algae on Driftwood

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

crupp29

Reaction score
I found this growing in my tank... I think itā€™s algae, but Iā€™m not completely sure. I just set up my tank a few days ago and I have driftwood, rock, substrate, and a couple of plants so far. I have only noticed it on the pieces of driftwood. I am planning on adding fish this weekend. I have had a filter and heater running since Iā€™ve set it up. I have the light on for about 12 hours a day (or a little more), which I now realize is too long. Maybe this is the cause for whatever this is that is now growing in my tank. This is a picture I took earlier, any help is appreciated.

62917EE0-E2D0-4041-ADB2-284E84027B7A.jpeg

I concur, itā€™s just biofilm leeching out from the wood. You can remove it manually by scrubbing it under warm water.

fungus and other gunk growing on the wood. take wood outside and hose it off.

algae is normally green but can be brown or black.

At the risk of sounding like I know something useful - if you only set up your tank a few days ago, has it cycled fully before you add fish this weekend..?

At the risk of sounding like I know something useful - if you only set up your tank a few days ago, has it cycled fully before you add fish this weekend..?
I just tested the water now and all the levels are the same as when I added it to the tank (nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia all at 0ppm). I have read that the nitrate levels should be higher than they are currently, is there something I could add to help with that?

I know many fish shops will tell you to set up the tank and let it run for a couple of weeks before adding fish, but that is wrong. A tank needs to be cycled to be capable of handling the ammonia created via fish waste.

The nitrogen cycle essentially goes like this. Ammonia is very toxic, but it can be converted to nitrite by beneficial bacteria. Nitrite is also very toxic, but can be turned to nitrate by another group of bacteria. Nitrate, while still dangerous is less dangerous than the others and can be dealt with by regular water changes.

Your water tests fine because there was never an ammonia source in the tank, so subsequently never any nitrite or nitrate.

Please take a look at this thread for more information on cycling a tank, and feel free to ask us any questions you have.

I found this growing in my tank... I think itā€™s algae, but Iā€™m not completely sure. I just set up my tank a few days ago and I have driftwood, rock, substrate, and a couple of plants so far. I have only noticed it on the pieces of driftwood. I am planning on adding fish this weekend. I have had a filter and heater running since Iā€™ve set it up. I have the light on for about 12 hours a day (or a little more), which I now realize is too long. Maybe this is the cause for whatever this is that is now growing in my tank. This is a picture I took earlier, any help is appreciated.

View attachment 136508
Hey - I'm new to this community - I had the same question this time last week! It's as everyone else is saying, a yummy not harmful treat for the fish. Apparently a good sign of bio organisms

I know many fish shops will tell you to set up the tank and let it run for a couple of weeks before adding fish, but that is wrong. A tank needs to be cycled to be capable of handling the ammonia created via fish waste.

The nitrogen cycle essentially goes like this. Ammonia is very toxic, but it can be converted to nitrite by beneficial bacteria. Nitrite is also very toxic, but can be turned to nitrate by another group of bacteria. Nitrate, while still dangerous is less dangerous than the others and can be dealt with by regular water changes.

Your water tests fine because there was never an ammonia source in the tank, so subsequently never any nitrite or nitrate.

Please take a look at this thread for more information on cycling a tank, and feel free to ask us any questions you have.

Thank you for the article. Is there a pure ammonia product that you would recommend? I saw that there was a link in the article for some, but it is outdated.

Also, I have been using the recommended amount of Seachem Stability since Iā€™ve set the tank up (Saturday). Should I still be using this or is unnecessary without the presence of ammonia? Also, could this be contributing to the cause of the biofilm I mentioned originally?

I just tested the water now and all the levels are the same as when I added it to the tank (nitrite, nitrate, and ammonia all at 0ppm). I have read that the nitrate levels should be higher than they are currently, is there something I could add to help with that?
What @Cydeth said ?

Also, I have been using the recommended amount of Seachem Stability since Iā€™ve set the tank up (Saturday). Should I still be using this or is unnecessary without the presence of ammonia? Also, could this be contributing to the cause of the biofilm I mentioned originally?

I'm not familiar enough with seachem stability to really advise, although I'm sure somebody will help out if they see your query.

I'm sorry, I kind of stole your thunder there.

View attachment 136537

I got this from Amazon a few weeks ago now

This is a great product and absolutely the one a beginner should go for. There are multiple aquarium specific products that do the same thing as they are essentially just pure or diluted ammonia, but this is the one that is most well known.

I personally use the following product. It's a household ammonia with no additives and so it is also perfectly safe for an aquarium. The benefit for me is that I can pick up a half litre bottle for Ā£3.50 at a local DIY shop and not have to wait for delivery. I'm impatient and cheap, basically.

If anybody ever does decide to go for this type of product, please be very careful to select one without additives such as fragrance or surfactants.

Attachments

• 27331810-2BC5-42AA-BA96-F98D088665E6.jpeg
    27331810-2BC5-42AA-BA96-F98D088665E6.jpeg
    217.4 KB · Views: 64
@Cydeth - no, no stealing of thunder - Iā€™ve sort of got it in my head (having made the same mistakes a month ago) but certainly not confident enough to give the details ?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back