Unhealthy plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Hi can you check out the link I sent

If you mean the video link in post #13, I did, and just watched it again. I still do not see anything wrong with the plants except perhaps for the Java Fern. The swords are in good condition. The Java Fern is a bit rough looking, but that may be the light; this is a shade plant and overhead lighting should be lessened by floating plants.

If you mean the video link in post #13, I did, and just watched it again. I still do not see anything wrong with the plants except perhaps for the Java Fern. The swords are in good condition. The Java Fern is a bit rough looking, but that may be the light; this is a shade plant and overhead lighting should be lessened by floating plants.
Yes I thought so, the sword plants is kinda new so some leaves might die. In the other hand, my java ferns have been in my tank for over a month and their health is deteriorating. Do you recommend any floating plant that spreads out really good?

Yes I thought so, the sword plants is kinda new so some leaves might die. In the other hand, my java ferns have been in my tank for over a month and their health is deteriorating. Do you recommend any floating plant that spreads out really good?

Sword plants (Echinodorus species) are rosette plants sometimes with a tuber/rhizome. New growth occurs from the centre of the crown, and as this progresses the older leaves on the outer edge will usually yellow and die off. This is because the plant can take nutrients from those older leaves to promote the newer growth. Depending upon the light intensity and nutrient availability, this can be slow or faster. The plants also go through periods of rest; temperate plants lose their leaves during the rest period (winter) but tropical species just slow down. I have observed these rest periods twice annually in general.

In addition to the above, moving plants to a new environment usually causes them to slow down until they settle in. This is more obvious when new plants that were raised emersed are planted submersed; the leaves need to change structure from air to water life.

Florish Tabs are advisable for swords plants which are heavy root feeders and they develop extensive root systems. I use one tab about 2 inches out from the crown, replaced every 3 months (I have very soft water so 3 months tends to work better). I also use the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, sparingly.

On ferts, I think I mentioned previously that I would not recommend both kinds; the Flourish Comp is complete and all you need. Adding the second product will inevitably over-dose some nutrients and this can cause problems. This may be part of the issue with the Java Ferns. Being slow growing, they use very little nutrients and light.

Good floating plants are Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta is the best floating species of the genus). Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) is similar, though not everyone has equal success with this. Frogbit is another.

Sword plants (Echinodorus species) are rosette plants sometimes with a tuber/rhizome. New growth occurs from the centre of the crown, and as this progresses the older leaves on the outer edge will usually yellow and die off. This is because the plant can take nutrients from those older leaves to promote the newer growth. Depending upon the light intensity and nutrient availability, this can be slow or faster. The plants also go through periods of rest; temperate plants lose their leaves during the rest period (winter) but tropical species just slow down. I have observed these rest periods twice annually in general.

In addition to the above, moving plants to a new environment usually causes them to slow down until they settle in. This is more obvious when new plants that were raised emersed are planted submersed; the leaves need to change structure from air to water life.

Florish Tabs are advisable for swords plants which are heavy root feeders and they develop extensive root systems. I use one tab about 2 inches out from the crown, replaced every 3 months (I have very soft water so 3 months tends to work better). I also use the Flourish Comprehensive Supplement, sparingly.

On ferts, I think I mentioned previously that I would not recommend both kinds; the Flourish Comp is complete and all you need. Adding the second product will inevitably over-dose some nutrients and this can cause problems. This may be part of the issue with the Java Ferns. Being slow growing, they use very little nutrients and light.

Good floating plants are Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta is the best floating species of the genus). Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) is similar, though not everyone has equal success with this. Frogbit is another.
Mollies eating it :/

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back