Unhealthy plants

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

TO KYO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello, none of my plants seems to be growing. They all turning blackish and growing holes in their leaves. Whatā€™s going on? My sister owns the same plants, but in a 10g tank and hereā€™s are doing alright

Attachments

• A24B29B8-6BE4-4BE9-A860-F4A638F46AC1.jpeg
    A24B29B8-6BE4-4BE9-A860-F4A638F46AC1.jpeg
    769.4 KB · Views: 455
How long are your lights on for?
How many watts are the lights?
What is the Kelvin rating of the light globes?

How tall is your tank and how much water does the light have to penetrate (eg: 12inches of water, 16 inches, 18 inches, 2ft)?

Do you add any type of plant fertiliser or carbon dioxide?

What fish are in the tank?

------------------------
Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

------------------------
You can try using a liquid iron based aquarium plant fertiliser to help them grow. I use Sera Florena but there are other brands. Use an iron test kit and monitor the iron levels in the water. You want it at 1ppm.

How long are your lights on for?
How many watts are the lights?
What is the Kelvin rating of the light globes?

How tall is your tank and how much water does the light have to penetrate (eg: 12inches of water, 16 inches, 18 inches, 2ft)?

Do you add any type of plant fertiliser or carbon dioxide?

What fish are in the tank?

------------------------
Most aquarium plants like a bit of light and if you only have the light on for a couple of hours a day, they struggle. If the light doesn't have a high enough wattage they also struggle. Try having the tank lights on for 10-12 hours a day.

If you get lots of green algae then reduce the light by an hour a day and monitor the algae over the next 2 weeks.
If you don't get any green algae on the glass then increase the lighting period by an hour and monitor it.
If you get a small amount of algae then the lighting time is about right.

Some plants will close their leaves up when they have had sufficient light. Ambulia, Hygrophilas and a few others close their top set of leaves first, then the next set and so on down the stem. When you see this happening, wait an hour after the leaves have closed up against the stem and then turn lights off.

------------------------
You can try using a liquid iron based aquarium plant fertiliser to help them grow. I use Sera Florena but there are other brands. Use an iron test kit and monitor the iron levels in the water. You want it at 1ppm.
Info of my tank and the two fertilizer products I use.
I give them 12 hours of light, but I donā€™t see any algae growing

Attachments

• 3C35F62C-1598-4F84-BB3D-931F635E4975.jpeg
    3C35F62C-1598-4F84-BB3D-931F635E4975.jpeg
    619.2 KB · Views: 423
  • B7BEA362-0837-40F2-91F1-ACC2ADEBCB52.jpeg
    B7BEA362-0837-40F2-91F1-ACC2ADEBCB52.jpeg
    48.8 KB · Views: 422
The info doesn't have wattage or Kelvin rating.

Your tank is 22 inches high so you will need more intense light to penetrate the water.

If you don't get algae growing, increase the lighting time by an hour a day and see how it goes. You can have the lights on for up to 16 hours a day, but the plants and fish need 8 hours rest.

Wil
The info doesn't have wattage or Kelvin rating.

Your tank is 22 inches high so you will need more intense light to penetrate the water.

If you don't get algae growing, increase the lighting time by an hour a day and see how it goes. You can have the lights on for up to 16 hours a day, but the plants and fish need 8 hours rest.
l do thanks for suggestion. I actually thought I was giving them too much light

I cannot see any issues in the photo in post #1. Are you referring to the black areas on the Java Fern?

I cannot see any issues in the photo in post #1. Are you referring to the black areas on the Java Fern?
Yes, also the other type of plant is starting to grow holes

The holes look like something is eating it. The mollies could be picking at it or snails might be chewing on them. Increasing the lighting times should encourage some algae to grow on the glass and the fish should graze on that instead of the plants.

If you can't get algae to grow in the tank, put a large plastic storage container outside in the sun and fill it with water. Add 1 heaped tablespoon of granulated garden fertiliser for every 5 gallons of water, and put some plastic ornaments and some smooth rocks in the water. It will go green and soupy after a couple of weeks and the ornaments/ rocks will get covered in algae. You can put these items in the aquarium and let the fish graze on the algae. When they have eaten most of it, you swap the ornament for another one in the container.

Last edited:
If I read post #3 correctly, I think the algae statement was meant to say that the lighting being on for so long was not causing algae, not that algae is wanted.

If I read post #3 correctly, I think the algae statement was meant to say that the lighting being on for so long was not causing algae, not that algae is wanted.
Uh thanks for clarifying that

The holes look like something is eating it. The mollies could be picking at it or snails might be chewing on them. Increasing the lighting times should encourage some algae to grow on the glass and the fish should graze on that instead of the plants.

If you can't get algae to grow in the tank, put a large plastic storage container outside in the sun and fill it with water. Add 1 heaped tablespoon of granulated garden fertiliser for every 5 gallons of water, and put some plastic ornaments and some smooth rocks in the water. It will go green and soupy after a couple of weeks and the ornaments/ rocks will get covered in algae. You can put these items in the aquarium and let the fish graze on the algae. When they have eaten most of it, you swap the ornament for another one in the container.
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0KfYrBRKzII7wdt9HaVzd3hLw#Wilkes-Barre,_PA

Hi can you check out the link I sent

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back