Unfashionable Tangs...?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

ikongoni

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone still keep Tanganyikans....?

Or have they become very unfashionable these past few years.

I have recently been attempting to sell Tanganyikan cichlids & books on Ebay, and don't even have people viewing, let alone making a bid.

As a result I have just given all the stuff away free of charge, when a couple of years ago, I could have expected a very decent amount of money..... :blink:

For whatever reason tangs don't seem to be as readily available anymore IMO,
In fact haven't seen a Tropheus species in a LFS in about 5 years,
They just all seem to have frontosas, leleupis and brichardis and thats about it

Many people are drawn to the "eye candy" that is Mbuna and i agree that Tangs are much harder to get hold of. My LFS always has a small supply, usually duboisi and moorii but the majority of other shops i visit don't stock them - even Fronts are getting more rare. :dunno:

The only cichlids I can get around here are mbuna, and that's only the common ones (m.auratus, l.caeruleus, p.acei, m.estherae). Like Ferris said, most beginner cichlid keepers like to go for the flash. :rolleyes:

Just wondering if anyone still keep Tanganyikans....?

Or have they become very unfashionable these past few years.

I have recently been attempting to sell Tanganyikan cichlids & books on Ebay, and don't even have people viewing, let alone making a bid.

As a result I have just given all the stuff away free of charge, when a couple of years ago, I could have expected a very decent amount of money..... :blink:

Yes I keep tangs
I have 10 colonies of Trophs each colony has a few other tangs just to keep it varied.
What were you trying to sell? Must admit I don't buy off ebay unless I can go look at the fish first. Also I see people selling 6x N. Tretocephalus at .75". #### are you supposed to do with 6 of them? One is a handful and they are IMPO to small to tell if they are good specimens or not

As far as I can tell they are very fashionable but they have to be good quality. Decent Trophs are selling quite easily @£20+ and fish I have traded with a retailer he sold on at £34 each and then he asked me for more

My LFS stock lots of tangs but they said the same thing to me when i was setting a tang tank up a while back that not many people want them as there not the thing anymore

But trophs are beautiful fish would love to set up a tank with them read they can be hard to keep alive though due there diet or something

Sadly I think Tangs are quite unfashionable. My LFS does stock a good range and even has some lovely sandsifters (£50 a pair, argh!) but every week I go back and the same fish are still sitting there, even the more common tangs like shellies seem to struggle. And even though they do have a good selection it is nothing compared to the tank after tank of mbuna. Not that there is anything wrong with mbuna but I think Tangs are an underated bunch! Anyone interested in Tangs should definately check it out though, am I allowed to mention the shop name on here? Anyway, it is a branch of a well known chain based in St.Albans.

I keep a Tanganyika tank. Bit on the small size (see sig) but I am seriously thinking of off-loading my community stock and let the Tang's have the larger tank as they are by far the more entertaining fish.

I have no trouble in getting fish :fun:

Sadly I think Tangs are quite unfashionable. My LFS does stock a good range and even has some lovely sandsifters (£50 a pair, argh!) but every week I go back and the same fish are still sitting there, even the more common tangs like shellies seem to struggle. And even though they do have a good selection it is nothing compared to the tank after tank of mbuna. Not that there is anything wrong with mbuna but I think Tangs are an underated bunch! Anyone interested in Tangs should definately check it out though, am I allowed to mention the shop name on here? Anyway, it is a branch of a well known chain based in St.Albans.

Ahhhhhhhh would that be the chain which has the initials MA? If it is sadly aint been there in a while :(. Only got interested in the old world cichlids recently so I probably looked and gauked at the fish but did not know what I was looking at. Have been community fish for a while but been bitten by the cichlid bug recently.

My Local LFS's say that Mbuna are pretty unfashionable nowadays to with all the Nano Marine tanks being the most popular things.

Funny as I have only just got into Mbuna after 10 years :p

Never kept Tangs tho.

I would have to say that Tangs are "unfashionable" at the moment. I am having a terrible time trying to unload my N. Bricahardi and A. Compressiceps. I think its because they have such muted colours compared to other cichlids. That and the fact that they are narky buggers :)

People seem not to want them. They seem to go after the more colorful fish, Mbuna. But I still see a popular demand for shell dwellers. There is a store around me called Cichlids and Salt, and they seem to stock many Tangs. But they specilize in cichlids, so that might be why. There are many people in my Aquarium Club that still house multies. So, I don't think that tangs are gone, just harder to find.

People seem not to want them. They seem to go after the more colorful fish, Mbuna. But I still see a popular demand for shell dwellers. There is a store around me called Cichlids and Salt, and they seem to stock many Tangs. But they specilize in cichlids, so that might be why. There are many people in my Aquarium Club that still house multies. So, I don't think that tangs are gone, just harder to find.

its the opposite in Ireland Tangs are on the rise, so if anyone here is looking to off load tangs and anything to do with them let me know i'll probably take them off you if i can

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back