unfamiliar red thing sticking out from the bottom of my angelfish

It's caused by poor genetics and inbreeding. The people that produce these fish in Asia are screwing the fish up.

They find a nice fish and breed it with its relatives to make a new strain of whatever fish, in this case it's angelfish. The inbreeding creates the new strain of fish but also encourages bad genetic defects like the intestine popping out.

It's a lottery when you buy fish these days. The more inbred, the more chance of weird stuff happening with them.

Feeding fish a varied diet can help reduce this from occurring but it's no guarantee.

That makes me extremely upset to hear. They should see what they're doing is wrong and is in fact just hurting the fishes they're trying to sell.
Thank you for spreading awareness, I never knew about this. :(

Awesome! I'm glad you are aware of the stocking problems, I always feel kind of awkward bringing them up after some experiences with very know-it-all and rude people :)

Awesome! I'm glad you are aware of the stocking problems, I always feel kind of awkward bringing them up after some experiences with very know-it-all and rude people :)
Haha, I can imagine! I know I'm no fish expert though, so I have no business arguing with people about any of this. At the end of the day, I just want the best for my fishes.

On a positive note, I've filled the tank with a LOT of plants and decorations for the fishes to hide and relax in. None of the fishes look or behave stressed, so I'm glad that temporary solution is working out for them so far, as I'm trying to find them a new caring home.

Good luck in finding them new homes, sorry about your fish ,I hope it gets better. @Colin_T is very knowledgeable about fish. I agree with him that there really has been too much inbreeding in the fish industry, Many fish seem to have more issues these day than when I first started keeping fish nearly 30 years ago. :(

Good luck in finding them new homes, sorry about your fish ,I hope it gets better. @Colin_T is very knowledgeable about fish. I agree with him that there really has been too much inbreeding in the fish industry, Many fish seem to have more issues these day than when I first started keeping fish nearly 30 years ago. :(
The big breeders need to trade some stock to get new genes but I doubt they would lol

It might help prevent bacterial infected though.

It might help prevent bacterial infected though.
I think water changes would be just as effective and needlessly treating fish can be stressful for them

You can almost see a tear in front of that area and if you look at her eyes she looks pretty uncomfortable. This happens to pigs and cows on farms a lot - I think their diet is too dry and they get constipated - they push too hard and out pops part of the intestine = on the TV shows they just sedate (or not) the area and push it back in then put a few stiches in to keep them from doing it again. When a mama cow pushes so hard she pushes out her uterus which weighs a LOT - they have to get it back in the cow without tearing it (it's very thin). If they tear it the cow goes off to slaughter - it always seems so cruel the way farm animals are treated - sending it to slaughter but in the meantime leaving it laying there to suffer until they kill it. Same for the fish - I think unless you want pay a vet to sew that back up knowing there is scads of infection going to occur until eventual death that it would be better to euthanize it now. Very few vets are set up for fish anesthesia and surgery - our vet actually just removed a growth off of one of their giant goldfish but it's a really large fish and they handle all sorts of exotic pets..

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back