Unexpected fry in fish delivery. How can I maximise survival?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°

Irksome

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I had a fish delivery of just two adult guppies to add to my female betta/ Guppy tank and to my surprise there were four fry also in the bag.
I have 3 options for them.
My female betta/guppy tank, although she is fine with adult guppies will probably eat the fry on under 30 seconds and I just didnā€™t have the heart to do this to them.
My male betta tank is another option but I think he would eat them in about 40 minutes, he is slow as his fins are large so maybe they would be fast enough to survive but I have never had fry before so I donā€™t know.
My third option is that I happened to set up my new 25ltr/6.6gallon future shrimp tank this morning, it isnā€™t cycled at all, this is where I have put them while I work it out.
Can fry survive an emergency fish-in cycle? The betta tanks are well planted with plenty of cover, would that be more humane? I really donā€™t like the suffering that this unexpected situation is likely to cause.

I had a fish delivery of just two adult guppies to add to my female betta/ Guppy tank and to my surprise there were four fry also in the bag.
I have 3 options for them.
My female betta/guppy tank, although she is fine with adult guppies will probably eat the fry on under 30 seconds and I just didnā€™t have the heart to do this to them.
My male betta tank is another option but I think he would eat them in about 40 minutes, he is slow as his fins are large so maybe they would be fast enough to survive but I have never had fry before so I donā€™t know.
My third option is that I happened to set up my new 25ltr/6.6gallon future shrimp tank this morning, it isnā€™t cycled at all, this is where I have put them while I work it out.
Can fry survive an emergency fish-in cycle? The betta tanks are well planted with plenty of cover, would that be more humane? I really donā€™t like the suffering that this unexpected situation is likely to cause.

I doubt fry would survive a fish-in-tank cycle, as they're very sensitive to poor water conditions. Then again, their bio load is tiny. If it were me, I'd take some of the media from one of the other tanks and use it to kick-start the cycle. The addition of live plants and frequent water changes will help too.

Since 25 litres is really small yoou can just to daily water changes. Multiple wayer changes a day and they will actually grow faster - that's what commercial breeders do.

Okay thankyou! I will do water changes every day, switch a sponge from another tank and throw some extra anacharis in to keep things stable. They are endlers so they are really very small.

Some spare filter media from the existing tanks, some of their tank water, and maybe a handful of gravel if you use it and should be good to go.

My fry grow out tank is using media from existing tanks in a DIY filter. And i got 38 fry in it ;) you should be good with 4 endler fry no problems!

I think 4 fry in a 25 liter tank shouldn't be much problem.

Just don't overfeed them, change water everyday and it should be fine.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back